OSB vs plywood

sashurlow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
West Rutland, VT
I have noticed that quite a few people use OSB in the construction of their coops. I would imagine plywood would hold up better. Has anybody had issues with OSB failing? Is it best used for walls, or can you roof with it too? I'm hoping just to paint my roof, so I'm thinking plywood would be stronger.
Thanks,
Scott

I agree not to use OSB for flooring if you think it may get wet, ie. on hosing out for a cleaning. Good for walls and roof as long as you apply exterior finishing materials such as; shingles, siding, shakes, planks, hardi board.

OSB does break down if it gets wet. I would not use it on the exterior, but some do, and paint it very well. If you do this, you need to find a way to seal or cover the edges well. I am sure plywood would hold up better for exterior use, especially if it is exterior grade plywood.

It all depends on what kind of plywood you by! standard plywood not made to be used outside will breakdown faster than OSB. But if you get Pressure treated plywood it will last forever. some people don't like PT wood around critters! I have a friend with a small bldg he put up on his farm over 15 years ago! 1/2 in osb over 2x4 studs 24in on center. still no paint, walls (OSB) still going strong! It will get "Fuzzy" but holds up fine! You get what you pay for! the more weather proof the wood is the more it will cost in the short run but the less it will cost over the years! If you are new to chicks don't spend to much money till your sure you will stick with it. then go all out after you have got your feet under you and know what you want! Only then should you spend a lot of money on a "Dream Coop"
Just one other thing. my coop is a small barn I bilt 20 years back to store tools in. It is 10 ft wide by 12 ft long about 7ft at the peek of the barn type roof. I walled off a 7x7ft area for the ladys, roost, made a auto feeder from BYC out of plywood and 6 nest. Cut a small door in the side going into the run. it works great, plenty of room for the feed etc...
around here you can pick up a used barn like this for about 4 or 5 hundred plus about 100 to have it moved to your home. a flat bed wrecker truck is all thats needed to move them because the barns are bilt on runners. Just something to think about...Will Choate, Seale Al.

I prefer plywood since it is much easier to paint and holds up a bit better to the elements. There are more chemicals used in the manufacturing of OSB. I cut it as little as possible, clean up well, and wear a mask. I only used it when it was available for free and only in the parts that aren't exposed.

I built two chicken tractors using the Catawba Converticoop plans and made the long doors out of the OSB. I painted it right away and then we had some really hot sunny days (shocker in WA state!) and then more normal long days of heavy rains. I noticed that the several layers of paint are flecking off already. I was surprised. Little bits of the OSB are lifting up a tiny bit here and there, but nothing that damages the structure. So far, I would say I most certainly prefer the looks of the ones I made out of regular wood, but that in a pinch, if you want to make a coop fast and cheap, this is a good method. You may just need to apply three layers of exterior paint. I think I only did two.

I would advise against OSB on the exterior part of anything. We built a trator out of it and painted it immediately thickly. However, the sturcture is holding up fine, but the hinges where they were screwed in have given way. I won't be using it again. This tractor isn't even a year old yet.

I use OSB for everything but the floor and door. My doors are framed with 2x4's so the hinges are screwed to those.
Its a cost decision. You can buy exterior grade OSB.

Never had a problem with it falling apart but I do have large overhangs and paint the exterior.

OSB 5/16ths 4x8 sheet $8
Plywood 5/16ths 4x8 sheet $24

I used 1/2in PT plywood for the floor and regular plywood for the walls (will be painted soon).
I personally wouldn't use OSB for exterior without a good waterproofing (ie. building wrap or felt paper) I worked construction for a while Framing houses and if osb got wet it immediately would swell up and bubble big time and often pulling the nail heads thru it.

To BlackBart.
Around here 1/2in Reg plywood 4x8 $10.50
1/2in PT plywood $22

Back
Top Bottom