Ostrich, Rhea, or Emu, what would be the best to get?

Celeeste

Chirping
May 16, 2020
Now this won't happen for quite a while, but I want to have big birds in the future and I was wondering which ones would be the best to have around, if not all three. Would it be detrimental to keep all three in the same enclosure or do they get along? Also, do they imprint? Would hand raising them from birth be the way to stay the safest? I'm very curious about these birds. I'd probably get a breeding pair of each if I did that.

I vote ostrich. How large of area do you live on?
Here is my reason I would keep them. I heard Emus can be dangerous:idunno
1589871425028.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

View attachment 2148029

Well, I'm planning for when I do get land in the future, I'm planning for what birds I want, which is a large variety. Also funnily enough I heard that Ostriches are dangerous. Probably just depends on how you raise them I guess.

View attachment 2148029
you think emus are dangerous. they are naturally the most friendly of the bunch So in order of friendliness I rank Emu ostrich then rhea but if hand raised they will all be friendly I personally like ostrich better since you can ride them though

Ive been wanting to get a Emu for years. Theres a Emu farm here in new mexico but i dont think they sell live emu. Never even seen a Rhea breeder before. I have seen places that sell fertile emu and ostrich eggs but I am not trying incubate no eggs.

Now this won't happen for quite a while, but I want to have big birds in the future and I was wondering which ones would be the best to have around, if not all three. Would it be detrimental to keep all three in the same enclosure or do they get along? Also, do they imprint? Would hand raising them from birth be the way to stay the safest? I'm very curious about these birds. I'd probably get a breeding pair of each if I did that.
Hi ..it's a matter of choice really, I certainly not put them together, I have kept and bred rheas since 1992, Emus as soon as the ban was lifted to keep emus in UK, emus are my most precious pets, very affectionate and love cuddles now 13 y.old daily wonderful animals, keep all predators at bay or kill them, fox, rats etc.
I was looking into ostriches, before i got rheas, local ostrich farm , was confronted by a huge 8ft male ostrich, that made up my mind lol

I love the emus best,good nature, but best kept in pairs and need at least 6ft fences 2x2 weld mesh, not sheep netting, with an open shed to put food in ad lib. They sleep mostly outdoor under hedges, if windy in house, rheas stay out what ever the weather, but leave food in an open house , when under year old my llamas guard them from foxes etc.

Emu are not friendly to strangers, guarding me like a dog. lol
but quiet, just a gentle grunt (foghorn ) to let me know some in is coming in lol They are very intelligent, almost like humans.
Hope you make right choice, good luck,
Calla.

Hi ..it's a matter of choice really, I certainly not put them together, I have kept and bred rheas since 1992, Emus as soon as the ban was lifted to keep emus in UK, emus are my most precious pets, very affectionate and love cuddles now 13 y.old daily wonderful animals, keep all predators at bay or kill them, fox, rats etc.
I was looking into ostriches, before i got rheas, local ostrich farm , was confronted by a huge 8ft male ostrich, that made up my mind lol

I love the emus best,good nature, but best kept in pairs and need at least 6ft fences 2x2 weld mesh, not sheep netting, with an open shed to put food in ad lib. They sleep mostly outdoor under hedges, if windy in house, rheas stay out what ever the weather, but leave food in an open house , when under year old my llamas guard them from foxes etc.

Emu are not friendly to strangers, guarding me like a dog. lol
but quiet, just a gentle grunt (foghorn ) to let me know some in is coming in lol They are very intelligent, almost like humans.
Hope you make right choice, good luck,
Calla.
all 3 are fairly intelligent and the thing you said about the 8 ft ostrich is why people always raise them themself

i personally would never use a bird for any of those just pets/eggs and when it comes to me if I have seen an animal alive I cant eat it unless its a deer or big game animal

Back
Top Bottom