OT - I just bought a verizon wireless modem!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poison Ivy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I LOVE IT!!!!! I suffered from dial up at home for 6 years. Embarq stops about a mile from me and they are in no hurry to get to my house. So I went today and bought the wireless usb modem and hooked it up to my desk top pc. This thing is great and very fast. But it gets even better as I can take it with me anywhere I go and have high speed internet for my laptop. I can't believe I waited so long to try it out. I just had to tell someone about it.

2. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Dial up makes me feel homicidal!! lol
    I love my DSL

3. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I know people look at you like your from the stone age when you say you have dial up! Even the guy at the verizon store had a funny look and he said you have dial up now? Helllooo yes that's why I'm here buying one!

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We just got satellite (we’re too far out to get any kind of DSL) and it is amazing! I can look at pix of chickens and I don’t’ have to wait 30 mins. for them to load. We should have done this years ago.

5. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    OMG! How does this thing work???

Are you telling me that I DON'T have to suffer with dial up any longer? I DON'T have to wait for cable to be run another 5 miles north???

Is it a one time fee or a monthly fee? Tell me more!!!

6. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you asking about satellite? We're w/ Wild Blue but there are lots of choices. Some folks go thru their TV satellite company. It's a big upfront fee (sometimes several hundred dollars) but there are often specials that lower or waive that. We pay (I think) $70 a month for access. But we're in CA and everthing is much more expensive here.

7. SilverJeep

SilverJeep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Northeast, TN
    We got the verizon USB modem too. Not as fast as cable, but as long as your just surfing, you'll never know a difference.

FYI - Verizon will try to sell you the thing for like $50 plus the monthly plan. We got 3 phone lines and the modem. We asked if they could help us out any and they didn't charge us for the modem. Always ask....

8. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I downloaded my updates for my internet security last night. I had been putting it off because it was so big. I use to let it download at night when we were sleeping because it took so long. I did it last night in under 3 minutes! I couldn't believe it that's what it takes at work because we have dsl there.
    I didn't have a problem opening attachedments or email with pictures. I was even able to watch something on youtube which I never was able to before. I get 2 bars at the desk for the destop. If I could find a extention cable for the usb modem I might even be able to get a better reception. You have 30 days to try it and if it don't work for you then return it. This is way better then dial up and it looks as if dsl is never going to be coming down my street. So I will stay with verizon for now.

9. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a satellite too, and it's better then dial up, but not as good as the verizon card. I don't get any cell service out here either or I would be switcing to that too.

I work for a large computer company and they have switched from DSL to the verizon card as a prefered internet service for all of us that work from home and/or on the road.

10. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    The only thing I would warn about with the wireless is the fact that other people can use it if you don't lock them out. I am actually paying my neighbor $5 a month to hook up to his wireless right now. There are 7 accounts close that I can pick up and 3 I could log into if I wanted cause they aren't protected.

Just a heads up if you didn't already know.

Congrats!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by