Other alternatives for nesting boxes?

BiggKountry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Hi y'all,

What are some other alternatives to wood nesting boxes? I know you can make some out of wood, but what about using giant round rubber bowls or something like that?

Any thoughts?

I currently use a small plastic dog house for my girls but I've seen someone using large plastic drums.
smile.png

Quote:
That's what I was thinking.......also what about putting litter boxes under their roosts? This would make cleaning alot easier?

I have a blk rubber tub with hay in it and a refridgerator drawer with hay. They lay here first rather than the nest boxes. Their all time fav spot is in the corner of the goat barn behind the cattle panel so you have to reach through the fence where the hay has collected nice and deep.. It's egg hunting day at my house every day. Susan

You know those stacking bins that you can put potatoes and onions in?

22.jpg

I have a couple of these to put in the new coop until we get boxes built in. Unstacked of course.

Milk crates...dish pans...cardboard boxes...dresser drawers. To keep them from perching on the top you can grab staple gun and feed bag. Staple the bag to wall so that it drapes over front of whatever you use and they will go in and out from the side and like it very much.

I've actually made nests out of old plastic planters fixed to plywood on old saw horses and even though my hens just started laying they use them every time. Plus they're easy to clean and even spray out when needed. I just fill them with hay or straw once a week.

Back
Top Bottom