Other alternatives for nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BiggKountry, Apr 23, 2009.

1. BiggKountry

BiggKountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Hi y'all,

What are some other alternatives to wood nesting boxes? I know you can make some out of wood, but what about using giant round rubber bowls or something like that?

Any thoughts?

2. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    we use kitten litter pans, lol. B ut they are bolted to wood.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I currently use a small plastic dog house for my girls but I've seen someone using large plastic drums. [​IMG]

4. BiggKountry

BiggKountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Quote:That's what I was thinking.......also what about putting litter boxes under their roosts? This would make cleaning alot easier?

5. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I have a blk rubber tub with hay in it and a refridgerator drawer with hay. They lay here first rather than the nest boxes. Their all time fav spot is in the corner of the goat barn behind the cattle panel so you have to reach through the fence where the hay has collected nice and deep.. It's egg hunting day at my house every day. Susan

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    You know those stacking bins that you can put potatoes and onions in?

[​IMG]

I have a couple of these to put in the new coop until we get boxes built in. Unstacked of course.

7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Milk crates...dish pans...cardboard boxes...dresser drawers. To keep them from perching on the top you can grab staple gun and feed bag. Staple the bag to wall so that it drapes over front of whatever you use and they will go in and out from the side and like it very much.

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Those stacking bins look great! I'm going to have to find something similar [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by