1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Other than nesting boxes, where do your girls lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bdjh, Aug 20, 2013.

1. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Just curious.

We found one of our eggs in the run area the other day......to be fair, my wife thinks she may have interrupted one of them laying her egg when she lifted the lid to check for eggs.

But as a kid, I remember collecting eggs at my aunt's farm, and she'd regularly find them half or fully buried in their 'sandbox' where they'd take dustbaths.

I'm just wondering how thorough we need to be when collecting eggs.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Short answer: VERY. I've found eggs in places I never, ever though I'd find an egg and I still probably missed quite a few. Put some golf balls in the nest boxes to encourage the hens to lay there and try not to disturb them when they are "in use".

3. mayberrymom

mayberrymom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Idaho
    I too, am having problems with getting the hens to use the nice nest boxes my husband built for them. I have found eggs everywhere! I told my teenage sons it was like having an Easter egg hunt every day! I will try the golf ball idea, thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by