Other than Peas??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilMissChz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    So, what other special treats do duck(ling)s like? Do they need grit in addition to treats like chick(en)s do?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    No, I had not! Thank you! Very comprehensive. Must have taken forever to compile.

4. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    My ducklings love romaine lettuce. The older ones I just throw a few leaves in with them and they throw them around and strip the stalks clean. The younger ducklings we try to hold the stalks for them so they can tear pieces easier. They like butter lettuce too but its a softer consistency so I usually pre-cut it. I have also been giving them dried mealworms on occasion, they love them a little too much. Today when the little ones were outside I found some earthworms in a bucket of water. The only one that would even touch it was one of the runners. The others wanted nothing to do with them. [​IMG]

5. Mattfromhoward

Mattfromhoward New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    I can get my ducks to follow me almost anywhere if i have a handful of freshly chopped lettuce in my hand. Unless it is raining and they see worms, then they don't care if I have cracked corn, lettuce, or diced apples. Another thing too, off topic but I have green plastic cups I feed them with, meaning I carry the food to there dish in a green cup. They see that cup and they are waddling as fast as they can to the food dish.

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Kale is great, and in the cold winter months make the ducks mashed potato (no salt, but a little milk to cool them off) on cold mornings, or whole, rolled oatmeal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by