Otter, mink or weasel attack!!!

MissJenny:though I am thinking muskrat

Nope. Not a Muskrat-- they feed mainly on aquatic vegetation and also, clams, frogs and fish on occasions (LIKE A BEAVER-- before someone suggest it was that). I could not imagine a Muskrat leaving the water, going into a chicken coop and attacking chickens (and I'd bet there is nothing on the sort on record anywhere). A Muskrat IS NOT like the Old World Rats & Mice (i.e. Norway rats, Black Rats & House Mouse) which are the scourge of Poultry-- these are totally different animals.​

Otters taste like chicken !!
lol.png

Quote:
yes, there is a North American river otter that can be found several hundred miles from the coastal areas. I know we have them in Ohio. According to wikpedia, this variety will feed on birds and small mammals. Here's a link to the wiki if anyone is interested... they do have some geographic range info/map on here as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_river_otter

Although unusual, I don't put it past a family of otters to prey on chickens, everything else does! They are a member of the infamous WEASEL family, and catch and eat wild ducks like the pintail and mallards. If they can catch a flying, swimming wild duck, a chicken would be easy prey.

I do think that it would be easy to misidentify a weasel for an otter, and I think it's much more likley to have a weasel problem than an otter problem. But, we can't excuse the otter for the simple excuse "never heard of that one before".

-Kim

The first thing you need to do is secure your coop to protect the remaining birds! How did the "critters" get in...was the door open?

If they didn't come through the door, get yourself some hardware cloth (wire fencing) and hammer and cover every possible entry point.

THEY WILL BE BACK!!! (If you have birds left). Count on it...and prepare yourself Adrianna. Go get 'em girl...

Sally

Quote:
And it doesn't matter, of course. I was thinking the same as kim - whatever it was - otter/mink/weasel - it was seen in the act. SO time for action, not bogging down in "is or isn't" discussions.
Look at it this way. It's either you or the creature. You allow it to continue preying on your chickens and anything else in the neighbor hood, or you act to stop it.

Since this creature has lost it's fear for whatever reason and is bold enough to come in, you should bait it in a trap. Use some chicken parts, canned cat food, etc. If you don't have one, certainly someone you know has a trap. If you live in such country where an animal like that is found, you aren't likely to be the first person to have this issue. Make some phone calls. If all else fails, call the animal control or fish and game people.*

When the animal is captured, don't "rehome" it, feel sorry for it, put it up for adoption or any thing like that. Dispatch it or have it dispatched.
Moving it elsewhere only places the problem somewhere else. Once an animal has lost its fear of man, it will pass that to its young. Soon the countryside will be overrun with such animals and then you will have a problem.

*I say "...if all else fails," because I don't advocate the government taking care of our problems. They are not always willing to help in ways that are meaningful. When they are, you then give up your freedom to take action on your own and place it in the hands of overseers. Poor trade, if you ask me.

The one time they should be called is when you may be dealing with a protected species. In that case it is a matter of protection - not the creatures, but yours. No sense being fined, or worse, over some dumb, chicken-killing brute. Let the watchdogs handle it.

Last edited:
I'd end up in jail if I captured or harmed an otter, so check your laws. Better to spend your efforts on securing your next chickens in a secure coop and run. I'm so sorry you lost them, but the clock is ticking for any other you may have.

I've fished in a lot of the rivers across Washington state. I've seen Otters/evidence of Otters in nearly all of them.
They are very much protected and should be left alone. If your problem persists call Fish and Game and get their advice.
The otters I encountered seemed to be passing through, like they're nomadic hunters. Maybe they'll move on. In the meantime you'll have protect your birds better.

Back
Top Bottom