Our babies are dead

i am so sorry for your loss. I lost a chick about a month ago to the hands of my 4 year old son. it was an accident and both he and my 8 year old daughter were told the truth, they were upset at first than they were alright about it. kids adapt quickly.

i would tell them the truth and than have them go with you to pick out the new babies, when everyone is ready.

I am so sorry this happened!!
hugs.gif

I agree with what the majority said- explain it to your kids but stress that if it really was the dog, she was only doing what nature intended for her to do. It's not that she's a "mean dog" or anything. Trust me, I get so upset at my dog because he has a super high pray drive. I have tried to incorporate the chicks (and kittens) into our "pack" but as soon as he smells/sees/hears I have a baby something in my hand, he goes into a complete predator state. He gets this look in his eyes, starts shaking and drooling. His jaw clatters-- it's just pathetic. So needless to say, we gave up on that. He can't help it, some dogs have higher pray drives than others.

Get more chicks in a week or two when your kids had some time to adjust! Best of luck and please keep us updated!!
hugs.gif

Quote:
You must have one special dog!

Unfortunately, even with the best of training, sometimes instincts take over in a rush of excitement. I think the OP's best choice would be to build a stronger brooder and keep the dog as far away as possible from it.

At the same time, chicks do grow pretty fast, so you need to be thinking about a strong, secure coop and run.

By the way, welcome to BYC! (You're not the first this has happened to, and no one here is going to hate you over this...)

Bless your heart. I understand your mixed feelings about your dog -- mine killed two of my birds last week. She is going back "home" (she was supposed to be with us one summer...it's been several years) as soon as her "real dad" comes to get her.

DEFINITELY get more chickens AFTER you have some up with a plan to keep them safe. There is so much joy in store for your family if you can keep your birds secure...they really develop personalities that are even stronger than at two weeks. I know your kids will be sad...just try to approach it as part of life (the really sucky part) and a learning experience and take as much value from it as you can.

Good luck!

Yellowrosebouquet.jpg

Sorry to hear about your chicks. Let the kids know something got them-you don't have to tell them you suspect the dog. Then build something more prediator proof and get more chicks. They are so much joy!

Welcome to BYC! You are right, we do understand. Most of us have had something like this happen. I do hope you get more chicks soon. Raising chickens is such a rewarding thing for me. I enjoy them every day. Keep us posted on what you decide. I am sorry this happened to you. Hang in there!
jumpy.gif

I also know the feeling - my dog killed one of my chickens at 8 or so weeks, and I chased him through the woods while the chicken was screaming - i can still feel the pain and anger at 12 weeks later!. he was tied up for 3 weeks and scolded daily. He now is loose and the chickens stay in their nice coop and run, except for a half hour or so in the evening with me on guard. the dog stays away, but looks on from a distance and cannot be trusted. not his fault as he is a bird dog.

so sorry for your kids, as it will be hard, but new chicks will make a big difference and they may have a bigger respect for the fragility of life at a young age - a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom