Our chickens with their Shepherd

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MadChickensVT, Sep 10, 2011.

1. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    Our 2yo male GSD is doing great with the chickens we got this spring. They free range during the day and he keeps them safe.
    [​IMG]

2. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwww! What a sweet boy. You are lucky you have him to keep them safe. Very pretty picture!

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    How did you train him? He seems very tolorent and that breed really isn't ment for livestock. He is a beautiful shepard.

4. BirdEggs

BirdEggs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Central Mass
    Nice picture!
    Your dog is cute, and you have a good looking flock. Was he naturally calm around them or did you have to train him not to try and snack on them?
    When I was little, we had an English Springer Spaniel who thought it was her job to "herd" the bantams. If one strayed away, she would carry it back to the others. She never hurt the birds.

5. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    He got to see and sniff them a few times when they were still chicks. When we started letting them free-range we kept him on a leash at first and scolded him when he got excited. After that we let him loose around them but supervised and scolded when he messed with them. Now we can just leave him out all day with them. Every now and then he'll run at them to spook them but he's just playing. As you can see they're not too scared of him.

He's from Brown Hill Shepherds.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Some dogs just take to chickens.

My dog is a natural 'shepherd' type though.

Jared with the broody hens

[​IMG]

Jared wondering why the puppies look so odd.

[​IMG]

7. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:This is one of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen! I want to steal it, frame it, and hang it on my wall!!!

8. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Jared looks like an amazing dog! Great photos!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by