Our coop and run.

As far as shade, they have several trees around that area and aren’t shown in the pic. I have thought of putting a few chicken safe bushes in the run and pruning to keep them small and we are also building grazing boxes for them. My husband informed me that I am actually off on the buildings measurements it’s 9’x9’ and 12’ tall. Not that it changes much.
Having it be 9x9 changes LOTS. It's much closer to the size you need.

8x8 = 64 sq ft. TOO small. Expect behavior problems at minimum, and difficulties dealing with waste - which if not dealt with, is respiratory problems, or worse, for your birds.

9x9 = 81 sq ft. Almost a 30% improvement, and much more reasonably sized for your birds.
What it lacks in sq ft is mitigated by a very nice and well sized run for your flock, together with a climate which will not force your birds to be cooped up in the house for days or weeks at a time, as occurs in some much, much colder climates.

Additionally, TX (at least, the area I moved from, tends to be arid, so you don't likely have high heat plus high humidity concerns, unless you are in the Padre to Corpus to Houston arc. At worst, you will have seasonally heavy rains for a day or two, not a huge deal

What you do have is a ventilation problem. The general "rule of thumb" is 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird. While @aart and I are both huge proponents of under eave venting and ridge vents, no amount of corrugated roofing, with an average opening of perhaps 2", is going to get you close to what you need. That's more like peeling one foot of siding off 2 sides of your coop, PLUS the existing corrugated roof openings.

In TX, as with me in FL, inadequate ventilation in summer means the birds won't use it for shade, it will be warmer than the outside air. During the winter, if it does get humid, inadequate ventilation is breathing problems for birds - though with your climate, they will likely avoid the house in favor of sleeping out in the run. Particularly later Spring thru Later Fall.

LOVE your run. Much nicer than mine. Do strongly recommend more ventilation around the top of the coop on the roof overhang protected sides.

Th
8x8 = 64 sq ft. TOO small. Expect behavior problems at minimum, and difficulties dealing with waste - which if not dealt with, is respiratory problems, or worse, for your birds.

9x9 = 81 sq ft. Almost a 30% improvement, and much more reasonably sized for your birds.
What it lacks in sq ft is mitigated by a very nice and well sized run for your flock, together with a climate which will not force your birds to be cooped up in the house for days or weeks at a time, as occurs in some much, much colder climates.

Additionally, TX (at least, the area I moved from, tends to be arid, so you don't likely have high heat plus high humidity concerns, unless you are in the Padre to Corpus to Houston arc. At worst, you will have seasonally heavy rains for a day or two, not a huge deal

What you do have is a ventilation problem. The general "rule of thumb" is 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird. While @aart and I are both huge proponents of under eave venting and ridge vents, no amount of corrugated roofing, with an average opening of perhaps 2", is going to get you close to what you need. That's more like peeling one foot of siding off 2 sides of your coop, PLUS the existing corrugated roof openings.

In TX, as with me in FL, inadequate ventilation in summer means the birds won't use it for shade, it will be warmer than the outside air. During the winter, if it does get humid, inadequate ventilation is breathing problems for birds - though with your climate, they will likely avoid the house in favor of sleeping out in the run. Particularly later Spring thru Later Fall.

LOVE your run. Much nicer than mine. Do strongly recommend more ventilation around the top of the coop on the roof overhang protected sides.

How many additional roof vents would you suggest? We already have one at the top of the front and another at the back, not visible in the pictures.

As far as waste control, the inside of the building is cleaned bi-weekly. We added a poop board under the roost (tarp connected to the side rails with hooks), which is cleaned daily.

We also have two huge old tires that have been repurposed as dirt baths. Then an outdoor roost and of course multiple swings, chicknic table and lots of wooden stumps. I will be adding 3 large grazing boxes in a few weeks. Do you think it would be ok to plant a couple of chicken approved bushes or mini trees, inside the run?
How would you add shade to the run? Tarps?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom