our coop & run in North Texas

From my understanding, purlins are 90° from the rafters and on top of them. If I take that understanding of their use & placement then, the rafters as securing points for the metal roofing panels would loose 95-98% of the surface area for securing to the rafters.
[ETA:
Am I missing the point of what your suggesting? Would you like some up close shots of the structural connection zones? The metal plates for screwing the beams together? I still also have the templet of the ~18" 2x4 rafter support I could take a shot of it to show the cuts and how it was shoe-horned into place?]

I have on record.... Since the building started last spring/summer.... No less than 12 storms in 2019/2020 to date with sustained winds in excess of 45mph. More then 6 of them had gusts above 60mph too. I have had gusts records as high as 72mph over the last 2 years, 80+ over the last 6 years.

So far. Absolutely nothing of the coop or run has even shown a sign of getting bent outta place.

Minor tangent, if I may....Please realize I'm not wanting to sound snarky or any thing in that direction. If anything my Better-half will be the first to tell me to acknowledge my value as I have humbly down played my worth all my life. I have gotten alot better over the last couple decades. I still have a ways to go.

You go girl! Don't let anyone put you down. Keep your mind on increasing your worth.

Last edited:
So here we are, "black friday" & a wet and very cold snap is inbound with a vengeance. I've got a few minor tweaks and details to tidy up the run and coop stuff over the coming weekend :fl
I hope everyone cooperates with me.

Told my Better-half that the 2nd chicken door does infact need to be done and net off a good chunk of the coop for the silkies the mini coop they currently have is now too small with the hatchlings.

So a day shy of a month has past since last update..... It's Christmas day, weather forecast for the weekend is dry and near 70 both days.:fl

I have the silkie coop partition drawn up "mostly" & I'm going to see what rough mock up I can do before the serious forecasted rain mid-week shows up.

My Better-half & kiddos are totally on board with my taking a few eggs from all the big girls and putting under silkie pancakes in either Jan or Feb. Once the mod's are done.

These kindergarten crayon pics hint at this goal.
Purple is the planned silkie door.
Green are the vertical beams tied into the rafters.
Blue is the baseline foot print of the silkies roosting & nesting zones.
Orangish is the roosting rail zone & nesting too... IMG_20201225_171156074~2.jpg

IMG_20201225_171109923~2.jpg

So a update as of 1/13 (now)
Article is basically finished & published for the Silkie section of the Coop.

I just finished a little bridge that one of the hens used while I was finishing it up....(giggles)
IMG_20210113_192122463~2.jpg IMG_20210113_192134066~2.jpg IMG_20210113_192139182~2.jpg

If you ever watched the Sit-com Cheer's back in the 80's you should recall the section of the bar top the flips up to allow the bartender to walk out from behind the bar.

IMG_20210113_192153094~2.jpg
..... Now I really need to start the article on the build of the coop with all those pages of drafting on graph paper of other paper....

I hope to let the pancakes start their broodiness within the next 2-3 weeks when they start it up again....

Last edited:
Lessons learned. Article written a while back, now needs some sizable rewriting.

over the last week, discovered a hen with a massive mite infestation on her vent area. (See thread in medical forum) so after an early “spring cleaning” of the DLM and then a sweep out and disassembly of several things...

here’s the coop freshly sprayed for killing them bugs.....
A2B1E9FC-0287-444D-91A9-7D93D33ADECD.jpeg
FB475005-13E5-4C11-A2E5-78F830B376A0.jpeg

Rain showed up & delayed the spraying cycle... I had to start over to make sure I have gotten all them Mites! Started over and had a very toxic shock to my system. Chemical burn to nose and lungs... today was the planned 5th day, respect #2, but.... being Mothers Day, it delayed.... rain scheduled again so it’s either tomorrow (if rain stays south of us) or Wednesday which is 8th day.... then I’ll have to do it 5 days after that... and maybe 5-7 day after that ...... just to be darn sure it’s done systemically.

then the fresh spray of lime whitewash can be finally applied and then a fresh pine shaving floor layer....

Back
Top Bottom