our coop! what do you think?!

jmod86

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
[/IMG]
First timer here! We converted an old playhouse into our coop for 8 hens. It has electricty and is insulated for michigan winters! I am adding wider roost and lowering the nest boxes at the advice of another chicken keeper. We sectioned off part of the inside for the chickens so that we also have space inside for supplies! Whatvdo you all think? Is it adequate? Thanks!

Part of the inside the roost go all the way across. There is a ramp and platform that lead to the door.

Part of the inside the roost go all the way across. There is a ramp and platform that lead to the door.

Right now its a mixture of hay and woodchips from the horse barn! I think i want to try sand for the summer though. Probably back to woodchips for winter for warmth.

Looks good! Way to make use of existing structures!

My only advice for the coop is to put the nest boxes lower than the roosts or you'll have chickens roosting in the nest boxes and giving you poopy eggs. For the run, consider if you have to go in there or not for cleaning/moving stuff/ catching something. Having to crawl around the chicken run can be... less than desirable as I've learned.

Back
Top Bottom