We live in suburbia, and like many are not permitted to keep roosters. After a recent hatch, we have grown some anyway, and are now faced with the desire to keep two roosters in order to give us some fertile eggs for our next hatch. I have spent a long time online, trying to find all the 'tricks' too keeping a rooster in places where they are not welcome. For every theory, there seem to be two people have experience disproving it. SO, I am working on a project at combines the popular methods, in hope that one or some work together. I have up[dated our 'blog' type thread with this info, but I figured that there may be other interested in just this part of our adventure. We wanted something that is dark, sound proof, has air flow, insulated, limits neck extension, yet has enough room for a male of a night time. I got my expert design skills out, sat down with my crayons poked my tongue out and got cracking. (My wonderful skills also extend to being able to upload the image the right way up.....hold the applause lol) EDIT: I should add some measurements. Each 'booth' will be about 2ft x 2ft x 2ft internally. I will make the roosts adjustable to work on the neck extension part. Then gathered up the materials, off cuts and left overs from a work project. Mostly 35mm steel fridge panel, with an extra 50mm piece. More on that in a moment. Ply could be used, but I had this panel, so I am making it from cool room parts. It's a little out of order, but here is a cross section of the roof panels. Total 100mm thick, a 50mm panel and a 35mm panel, secured inside a 100mm channel. This gives the air gap seen here. I have used the air gap method for two reasons. The best form of insulation is an air gap, secondly, I wanted a path for air flow. I cut a 100mm hole in the top panel, right in the middle with a hole saw, this is to mount the rotary roof vent to. The aim is for the roof vent to pull air from outside, into the box then, through the air gap and out the vent. Air flow that will act as a sound muffler. Rotary vent, used for trucks. I got this on sale for $23AU, brand new in the box. Here is the roof section upside down. the angles mounted to it are to secure the sides to. I picked up a few stainless steel vent grills. I don't have the right size hole saw for the vent, so I improvised. The internal holes are offset to the central rotary hole, so we get the insulation, but reduce the crow-ibells from within. Some of the pretty vents secured, aimed back towards where Mr Roo's will be. I got the two ends cut and the roof rake sorted, but no pics of that tonight. Hope to have the basic structure completed tomorrow night, then work on the doors, other four vents, middle divider, roosts plus finishing touches over the weekend. Once that is done, I can do some tests with my remote thermometers and see what sort of temps differences we get, got to make sure it's safe for our boys! More pics as the build continues.