Our dog bit one of our chicks, what do we do?

RebeccaRae05

Hatching
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Our little dog dug a hole under our chicken pen & attacked one of our chicks & now she wont stand up. She eats, drinks, poops & pretty much acts normal but its been a few days & she still wont stand. What should we do?

I am so sorry for the heart ache!!!
hugs.gif

Make sure and give plenty of water! You can add about 1 tbl sp of sugar to a quart of water. This will help increase energy. Give her/him some soft scrambled egg and you might try to give them some Poli-Visol liquid vitamins. With out iron. You can get the liquid baby vitamins from wally world or most drug stores. As for the BEAST! EVERY dog that EVER attacks chickens WILL do it again!!! They are only in it for the thrill. Most do not eat their kill. Its just the thrill of the chase! Chickens are very scared flighty animals by genetics. Now the dog knows they are fun to chase and easy to catch! AND now the chickens know the dog is a threat and will be more flighty around him! It is a viscious cycle! I will kill any dog that attacks my chickens!!! even a dog I have had for years and love very dearly! I will not have a dog around that kills for fun!!!

Sorry again,

God Bless! and Good luck!

I always shake my head in wonder when people will kill a dog that kills chickens. Very few dogs wont kill chickens. It is 100% natural for a dog to chase and kill chickens. They've been doing it long before we ever made pets of them. Many of them are bred for the explicit purpose of hunting birds. Through lots of training, I've made my dog from a dog who kills chickens to one who catches chickens alive and hands them to me. That said, I won't trust my dog around chickens if I'm not right there. When my chickens are loose, my dog is in the house or his pen. When my dog is loose, my chickens are in their dog-proof pen. I suggest you better secure your pen so your dog can't get in it.

As for your chicken, did you check its legs to see if any are broken?

As for bigstack, please dont keep any more dogs.

Thanks for the help guys
smile.png

We fixed the pen right away so the dogs can't even get over by it anymore.
I don't think her legs are broken & she's been moving her toes & feet more, she just won't put any weight on them. For now I guess we'll try feeding her the eggs & sugar water & hopefully she will be back on her feet soon!

Thanks again!!

Yote,

I have had 10 dogs in the last 30 years and have never had 1 attack my chickens! I was just stating the fact that if 1 of my dogs did it would not live! I will shoot any dog or ANYTHING/ONE for that matter, that indangers my animals or family! (God Bless Texas and the Home protection act!) I do have 1 now that is beginning to show unwanted interest in the flock. I am working with her to break her of it. I understand an animal being an animal but If they are cared for and provided for there is no reason to attack a flock other than for fun! This will not be tollerated!!!! If a dog does it once they WILL do it again! Its just a matter of time and oppertunity! But thank you for your concern and opinion! I honestly mean that! Every one is allowed their own opinion and is able to express it here in the USA, God Bless America!!! I do not take the dispatch of any animal lightly, I just believe in the sacrifice of the few to protect the many! It's the American Way!
hugs.gif

Rebecca,

Sorry about that! I would suggest maybe gently trying to entice her to walk as well. I sometimes will kind of support the weight of a bird and help them to begin to walk again. Kinda like physical therapy if you will. LOL I will help them stand and just let a lil of their weight down on the legs at a time. some times it only takes once or twice. sometimes more! Im sure there is some pain and soreness. You can search for the amount but I have seem some one say you can disolve asprin and put it in the water. I don't know the amount/dose but you can prlly find it with a search.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Good Luck &
God Bless!

One of my dogs always hangs around the chicken pen when I am there. I think he's just wanting me to give him some attention too. (he's spoiled and thinks I should spend all my time with him. I'm trying to teach him to share me.) But I think it is a natural thing for dogs to want to get to the chickens. I like the skirt idea mentioned earlier. My dogs aren't the ones digging near the edge of the fense. My girls like to dig holes and roll in the sand and toss it all over themselves. My 6 year old grandson calles it the "Sand Spa." Some times they line up in 2 places to enjoy this treat, of course there is a pecking order.
smile.png

I am too new to chickens to offer any advice but I appreciate all the answers you have gotten. I will know what to do if this happens to me. There is so much help here at BYC. I can't say it enough. I am soooo glad I found this place.

Hugs from Florida.

Back
Top Bottom