Our Dog Is Coughing

Lisa-Lu

Songster
Feb 14, 2019
Southwest Virginia
Friday evening our dog started coughing while playing with my boys in the house. He coughed non stop for about 20-30 minutes and finally calmed down. The coughing has continued but in spurts. He will be fine for several hours and then have a cough spell, some lasting for just seconds, others for several minutes. The cough is sometimes followed by a gag and it’s becoming more like a goose honk. He is acting normal besides this. Doesn’t have a runny nose, or any cold symptoms. He is never around any other dogs. He sleeps in our room and has about 2-4 cough spells in the night. I have been using humidifiers as the air is so dry in our house right now and I have noticed some improvement with him. Just wondering if there is something else I should watch out for or since it’s improving if it will clear up on its own.

Glad you took him in. I have never had a dog with bronchitis, but I have had it. I know exactly how the poor dog feels. Those coughing spells can knock the stuffing right out of anyone. Hope he feels better soon.

Thank you all. He is keeping me up all night with his coughing spells, I so hope after antibiotics today he is a little better tonight, its like having a newborn all over again and I'm too old for that!
How old is your dog? In older dogs, coughing can be a sign of heart disease. Not trying to worry you, but I had two rescue dogs that developed heart issues when they were very old. However, younger dogs can also develop heart problems. I hope it's just the bronchitis. Unless your dog is frequently around other dogs or boarded, kennel cough is not likely. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

He is 8. He doesn't show any signs of heart problems and our vet checks him out good, so I'm sure its just bronchitis, he seems a lot better today and the coughing fits aren't lasting nearly as often or as long.

Thank you all. He is keeping me up all night with his coughing spells, I so hope after antibiotics today he is a little better tonight, its like having a newborn all over again and I'm too old for that!
I had all 5 my dogs get kennel cough, one at a time, one after the other. It was a long 2 months. :th

Back
Top Bottom