OUR DUCK IS HOPELESS! WON'T GET OUT OF HEAVY SNOW, SNOWING NOW!

kseniyacholock

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2018
i'm about ready to go take my husbands fishing net and catch this darn duck of my neighbors, who I first posted on here as if it were mine, but I swear, might as well be as me and another neighbor take care of it more than they do! The husband is as lazy as a three dicked dog! Said he was going to build it a house and had I not taken his wife recently to a garden shop to get a bail of hay for it, that i paid for! And where we ran into a woman who just happened to have a tall big dog house with vent it, in her truck bed, she gave it to my neighbor for free and even followed us to where we live, in apartments in a big city. This woman's husband is Bosnian, and insisted they did not need a shelter! So now this duck is free range and won't go in the dog house we only got recently, and today the snow is coming down heavy and he's out in it just standing in it! They also let the kids chase the ducks and so it is impossible to catch him! I had a white pekin duck like this one long time ago when my son was age 4 and had no problem going up to it and picking it up! Since getting this dog house and hay he hasn't even looked twice at it, muchless been inside it and they won't take the time to catch him and put him in it to get him use to it, muchless make the house a much needed door. He has been sleeping at night in front of the door of their apartments, his wife recently got taken away (comepletely gone) by something, we don't know what. His sister prior to that was killed by a hawk which on two occassions he has scared off by spreading his big white wing span and flapping and squaking. My husband and I have helped them twice when hawks have attempted to get them, rounding them up with my husbands fishing net, I had given them a large dog cage back then and because they didn't put them in it I finally, out of frustration called the Humane Society but when they showed up and she showed them they had shelter for him but could not force him to go in, (it had a cage door!) they did nothing and left! The neighbors, as myself and husband are crazy about this duck, they have had since it was a duckling in spring and are concerned for it's welfare and it's just so frustrating to see them neglect it like they do! He has this habit of sleeping by their door, I think he feels safe as he knows in past when he's sqwaked they have come out to see what was the matter, and in morning goes up the street two residences away and stays there till he decides he's hungry and comes back, where he's at now, standing at cub or road, or he'll sit at door of one of the buildings, but is at curb right now. I think he does this because our yard area is very open and we've had 3 occassions of hawks by day. I don't know, can they handle snow continously falling on them like this?!!! And how cold is too cold for them without a shelter, we've had temperatures last year below ZERO! Any suggestions? Probably netting him and putting a door on that house and moving it to near the door of his owners is only thing I can think of, but the door and moving the house is on them, although she and I started to ourselves, I wish now we would of because Lazy as a 3 dicked dog won't do it! And he's off work today! Bet he don't bat an eye at that duck! "In Bosnia, they roam free" -Pfffft! {ANGRY FACE!}

If it was me I'd catch the duck and see if you can find a water fowl sanctuary to take him too. What a terrible life living out by himself and no one but you to care and not much you can do. But if you can catch him and find him a safe place that would be best for him. With winter coming he will be some predators dinner soon. :( Here in NC we have 2 water fowl rescues. so maybe there will be one close to you or at least with in driving distance. Why would anyone living in an apartment complex want to have a duck poor creature.

If it was me I'd catch the duck and see if you can find a water fowl sanctuary to take him too. What a terrible life living out by himself and no one but you to care and not much you can do. But if you can catch him and find him a safe place that would be best for him. With winter coming he will be some predators dinner soon. :( Here in NC we have 2 water fowl rescues. so maybe there will be one close to you or at least with in driving distance. Why would anyone living in an apartment complex want to have a duck poor creature.

I can't THANK YOU enough!!! You were so right!!! There are two in my area I just wrote one, the website said it may take awhile for them to get back to me. That one was the Avian Rescue, but I dnt think it's for ducks. I hope it is! The other one is a "wild" life rescue and I already tried that route with another didn't take ducks. I tried the humane society which out here has livestock; horses, cows, pigs, ducks but they were at capacity and discovered my neighbor who owns them wouldn't drive as they would have to to go out there, I can't drive the highway as I have a limited drivers license, (seizure disorder) haven't had one in many many years, my daugher in law has them and is not restricted, but haven't driven highways in so long (so much traffic going so fast and so congested) don't know if I ever can again, but it sucks! But just to update u, since I began writing this earlier, my neighbors landlord came by, they were gone, just missed them! And their landlord and his wife TOOK the dog house! Put it in the bed of their truck, I could tell way she was walking around had a real attitude! Well she opened the bail of hay and put it under a buch near where the dog house "was" - -how KIND of her huh?! And earlier I took the outdoor table (a triangle shaped one) I gave them was over in a corner and moved it close to their door and directly under their window, found a piece of ply wood in basement fit perfect over front side, other side is against the brick leaving entrance I filled with hay and a litter pan of hay. He had been laying in the snow earlier but then after the landlord left, the sun came out and he walked over here, I noticed my neighbors had a bucket of water by their door but it was filthy! and frozen!!! He was drinking water out of a puddle from where the snow melted so went out gave him food and water. I hope he makes use of the Hobo House I provided for him next snow like today, most of the morning and afternoon it snowed heavy nonstop! But THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure hope someone you contacted can either take him or at least give you some other possibilities. The duck will be much happier with other ducks and shelter where he will be safe from predators. You’ve really done a lot to help him now help him find a new home where he can be with his own kind.

Back
Top Bottom