Our First Coop - not finished but almost there!

Oh I haven't posted updated pics yet sorry! So far so good! We ended up using u nails, the smaller ones, because the big one which we started with were too hard to nail in. The small u nails are holding up great and so is the stucco netting. It's a thick gage but keep in mind the holes are still big enough for chickens to stick their heads through so you might want to overlap it. It is a bit more work but it keeps curious chickens from sticking their heads out and getting it bit off.

Bamboo sticks are not wide enough for heavy breasted birds to roost comfortably. Consider using 2x4's.

Your coop is very pretty. Does it have any windows? If not consider adding one. Asside from natural light and dark cycles being good for laying my chickens really do love to sit on the roost and look outside.

Only reason there are no windows and this was a suggestion from another chicken owner is because we have a rooster and I was told if there are no windows he won't crow too early. We ended up putting some 2x4's up for roost only the BRs use them.

We can't keep roosters here but we had them when I was growing up. We kept the roost up high in the coop so they couldn't stretch their necks to crow. If my recollection is right it worked on some but not on others. Plus roosters crow for pretty much unavoidable reasons. Any light, or rather an increase in light, seems to set them off so won't the amount of light let in by the necessary ventilation set them off to crowing?

How old are your chicks? Some breeds don't roost until they are older. In our case, once one of them did it the others quickly followed, imitation seems to be how they figure out most everything.

I have the loudest rooster on the planet. I do have a window, but I do not let him out of the coop until 9 am or later. I figure, that is plenty of time for people to get up. AND no one near me works 3rds.. OH man.. I like that shape. It is very cool, and I bet when you are finished, it'll be pretty. Coops that are not an eyesore are always better with the neighbors.

My Roo is a Silkie. He has crowed yet but I'm pretty sure Nugget is a Roo since he is getting a decent comb and has streamers coming off the top of his head. I'll be EXTREMELY surprise if he isn't a he. These are my first chickens so all info I have I'm sure isn't always accurate. There are other Rooster in the neighborhood so I'm not too concerned. Thing with Nugget he won't roost except a couple inches off the ground. I can't even get him to walk up the ramp into the coop at night. I have to go out there every evening and put him in. lol We are going to try a wider ramp and some sort of light to maybe help lure him in, one we can turn off. We'll get it right one of these days. The kids tried helping me finish painting yesterday. Basically they painted everything I told them to and everything I told them not too. LOL I was going to paint the inside of the run but the chickens were trying to help by eating it so I'm not going to even bother painting the inside of the run. I still have to finish all the touch ups on painting and we aren't sure how we want to finish the roof. BUT this is what we have sooo far. I do plan on putting stepping stone path in and more potted plants around the outside of the run.

Four of our chickies

Do you think this will be fairly easy to clean? I love the design. I am Trying to decide how and what to do with mine.

Back
Top Bottom