Our first coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by posey, Nov 12, 2009.

1. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
  2. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    Coop is great. Love the pics of the baby coons, too!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    What a great personal page! Fun reading and the photos are cool. Nice touches.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Congrats! You made an awesome home for your feathered kids!!

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

...and you're having fun with it- nice!

About the run, since you have raccoons- you might want to sheathe the large mesh with 1/2" gauge hardware cloth so that raccoons can't reach through and grab a bird...and be very sure to get the hens in before dusk...[​IMG]

6. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Great coop. Looks to be built well and the name is fantastic. Only down fall I see is those bad little masked bandits. They do love to destroy chickens. Be Careful of more coming around. But again nice job on the coop! [​IMG]

7. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Thanks everyone.
    About the run, it was only temporary until next year.
    I am so 'up tight' about locking the chickens up before dark, that I plan my day around it.

We are in the midst of Tropical Storm Ida. It's been battering us for two days now.
    We got 5 1/2 inches of rain and very high winds that ripped the run apart.

The coop is solid as a rock and it has faired very well, the girls are all fine, just very antsy to get outside.
    That will have to wait until the wind calms down and we can come up with some sort of protected run so that they don't get out in the fields or on the road.

8. BethESH

BethESH Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Posey!

I am really impressed!

Ida's hitting us hard too - about 6 inches of rain, heavy wind, flooding - yuck - - - - -

I think you all did a great job! Wanna come build one for me?

9. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Thanks BethESH, this storm has really been hard on me. We ended up with 6 inches and the wind is still pretty strong. The really hard part of the storm has been that I lost 2 chickens during it, one was my darling silkie, Coco who I just found 30 minutes ago. This really sucks! But somehow I will go on and live will return to some type of normal. I appreciate you coop compliment and if I could I would love to leave here for a while to come and build you a coop. Unfortunately, we have lots of clean up and reconstruction work to do.
    Gonn'a be a busy weekend.

10. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Hope the rest Fair better, and the weather mellows out for you.
    God Bless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by