Our FIRST egg!!! YEAH!!

redhead83402

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Idaho
We got our 1st egg today!!! ~ Friday was day one of 17 wks, so we have been keeping our eyes peeled, thinking that surely any day now... AND IT HAPPENED TODAY! YEAAHHH!!!

Of course, it was lying over by the waterer, as though she had been getting a drink and just plopped it out where ever she happened to be. After all that work of making sure that there were 3 nest boxes ~ all padded with fresh pine shavings ~ put in the nice cool end of the coop ~ ....

Hmm ~ do you think this is a trend? Will they eventually get the idea of the nest box? Was it a lost cause of wasted space? Will we forever have to dig around in the unhappy dregs of the chicken coop floor?

Still ~ our first egg!!!! YEEAHHHH!
~Red

It's not uncommon for a first egg to be in a place that is strange. Mine all have laid outside of the coop the first time or on the coop floor. They do eventually get it, but it does help to put plastic eggs or golf balls in the nesting box.
My Silver laced Wyandotte just started laying a couple of days ago, the first egg was next to the feeder in the run, the second egg she laid today was on the coop floor, so I consider it progress.

Congrats on the first egg!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Sure, rub it in...I've still got a couple of months to go and it's KILLING me! Argh!
tongue.png

Seriously though, congrats! I can imagine how stoked you must be!

yeah!

she will eventually figure out the nest boxes...put some golf balls in them...works like a charm...

best wishes and blessings for the best eggs ever!

Thanks everyone!!! ~ The hen that laid the egg was a white leghorn ~ lol ~ and now that I've up & bragged, she didn't lay one today ~ lol ~ (is that normal?)

I have put the golf balls in the nests ~
fl.gif
:eek:

Arlee ~ what type of chicken made you wait 23 weeks?? Holy Hannah, I think I'd go NUTS!!

~Red
sheesh ~ can't spell today

Last edited:
Congrats. It is so exciting!!

Mine laid their first egg this past Saturday. It was a soft shelled egg and was lying on the coop floor.

This afternoon I went out to check and in the middle of the middle nest box (there's 3), was the perfect egg.

I've had 2 ping pong balls in each nest for a few weeks. I don't know if that helped or not but I'm so proud.
big_smile.png

Hopefully your's will be fast learners also.

Shane

Back
Top Bottom