Our FIRST egg!!! YEAH!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhead83402, Aug 3, 2008.

1. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    We got our 1st egg today!!! ~ Friday was day one of 17 wks, so we have been keeping our eyes peeled, thinking that surely any day now... AND IT HAPPENED TODAY! YEAAHHH!!!

Of course, it was lying over by the waterer, as though she had been getting a drink and just plopped it out where ever she happened to be. After all that work of making sure that there were 3 nest boxes ~ all padded with fresh pine shavings ~ put in the nice cool end of the coop ~ ....

Hmm ~ do you think this is a trend? Will they eventually get the idea of the nest box? Was it a lost cause of wasted space? Will we forever have to dig around in the unhappy dregs of the chicken coop floor?

Still ~ our first egg!!!! YEEAHHHH!
    ~Red

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's not uncommon for a first egg to be in a place that is strange. Mine all have laid outside of the coop the first time or on the coop floor. They do eventually get it, but it does help to put plastic eggs or golf balls in the nesting box.
    My Silver laced Wyandotte just started laying a couple of days ago, the first egg was next to the feeder in the run, the second egg she laid today was on the coop floor, so I consider it progress.

Congrats on the first egg!!! [​IMG]

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] Congrats on the first egg!!!

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Sure, rub it in...I've still got a couple of months to go and it's KILLING me! Argh! [​IMG]

Seriously though, congrats! I can imagine how stoked you must be!

5. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Yeah! Congratulations. The wait is killing me. Mine are 17 weeks 2 days. What type hens are they?

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Congrats on that first egg!! I had to wait 23 weeks for mine!!

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yeah!

she will eventually figure out the nest boxes...put some golf balls in them...works like a charm...

best wishes and blessings for the best eggs ever!

8. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks everyone!!! ~ The hen that laid the egg was a white leghorn ~ lol ~ and now that I've up & bragged, she didn't lay one today ~ lol ~ (is that normal?)

I have put the golf balls in the nests ~ [​IMG] :eek:

Arlee ~ what type of chicken made you wait 23 weeks?? Holy Hannah, I think I'd go NUTS!!

~Red
    sheesh ~ can't spell today

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  9. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Congrats. It is so exciting!!

Mine laid their first egg this past Saturday. It was a soft shelled egg and was lying on the coop floor.

This afternoon I went out to check and in the middle of the middle nest box (there's 3), was the perfect egg.

I've had 2 ping pong balls in each nest for a few weeks. I don't know if that helped or not but I'm so proud. [​IMG]

Hopefully your's will be fast learners also.

Shane

10. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Woohoo, congrats on your first egg. It truly is so exciting. Hoping you get many many more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by