Our first egg!

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
20180708_161804.jpg
Just checked after getting home from the store and found our first egg in the middle nesting box. I jumped in the air i was so excited! No more buying eggs like a sucker :wee

Cute egg! I hopefully bought our last carton of eggs a few weeks ago. I have two laying now, one just started yesterday!

You might not get one every day for awhile. One of mine started a few weeks ago, and I got several soft shell eggs thay were broken, and she was laying about every other day. She just got into a normal routine in the past few days. My one that just started laying has laid 3 so far, one soft shell and one with no shell.

We only have one laying so far but ive got two dozen grocery store eggs in the fridge so hopefully thats enough to last until they are all laying. We want to compare them with grocery store eggs this weekend so hopefully we get more! That egg is too tiny to eat on its own

We only have one laying so far but ive got two dozen grocery store eggs in the fridge so hopefully thats enough to last until they are all laying. We want to compare them with grocery store eggs this weekend so hopefully we get more! That egg is too tiny to eat on its own
Yes! We have 8 eggs so far, and I have to cook four to make a breakfast. We were comparing ours as well. I could tell a difference but my husband couldn't.

Do you free range or no? Supposedly more greens = darker yolks. I dont know if thats true or not but our neighbor used to have chickens free range and he swears to that

My chickens free range for at least an hour each day. When I am home but can't be outside, I usually put them in a portable run, on the grass. I have noticed the yolks are darker orange than store bought.

Two more eggs today! But one was broken so we just made a scrambled egg for the girls. It was so cute and little. A question though...the first egg was brown but these are cream...are they just under developed? All our chickens are golden comets.
20180710_165813.jpg

The first one is awful dark for a comet, and the new one is a bit light in color, though it's been a while since I had a comet so I could be remembering wrong. They should end up somewhere in the middle I think. It can take some time for them to regulate the system, and every hen can be a bit different.

Congrats on the pullet eggs. The more they lay, the more they will regulate to get normal. The little brown egg is from our pullet Barred Rock. By August we'll have 19 laying hens. It's still fun to get the little eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_130457545.jpg
    IMG_20180702_130457545.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20180702_130423332.jpg
    IMG_20180702_130423332.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom