Our first Egg!

Amomandacoop

Chirping
Aug 16, 2018

This morning I was in the coop cleaning and found an egg on the floor. We cracked it and it was beautiful! Our first egg!

New chicken owner questions below.

Do I check every morning for eggs?

Since I found one egg will they start laying every day?

Will they learn to use a nesting box?
We have 4boxes and 6 chickens. This egg looked to be dropped from one of the perches in the hen house.

Thank you! We are so excited!

Congratulations. In the beginning egg laying may be sporadic, and they may lay just about anywhere. Eventually they will figure out the process and figure out where to lay the eggs. Golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes will encourage their use. Depending upon breed hens may lay daily or several times a week. I check twice a day for eggs - especially important during freezing weather. Good luck, and enjoy your birds.

1. Yes you should check for eggs every day

2. It depends on the breed
Wether or not they lay eggs every day

3. It’s very unlikely your hen layed an egg while roosting as the egg would of cracked on the floor of the coop.

4. place golf balls or wooden eggs in the nest to encourage them to lay in the nest boxes.

Thank you! I do have ceramic eggs in nesting boxes. It’s still hot here in California but will start getting cooler in the next month or so. Doris (Rhode Island red) is a week older then the other hen’s and I think it was her egg. Our black girl that went missing is also the same age, maybe she went Brody? Not sure. Still hoping she will show up.

Congrats! My pullets both laid their first eggs on the floor of the run. I wonder if it caught them by surprise? Make sure the nest boxes are comfortable. Mine did not like the artificial turf I put in there (too scary) but after replacing that with pine shavings and keeping a fake egg in there, all the eggs end up in the nest boxes. And for some reason, they didn't like the light brown fake egg (rolled it right out of the nest box) but are OK with the dark brown fake egg. I have black copper marans who lay dark brown eggs. One girl lays faithfully every 26 hours or so; the other lays about every 36 hours, so how often they lay varies. And they may not be regular for the first month or two, as their cycles mature.

Such good advice! Our nesting box is pine shavings. My next adventure is to know the breed of chickens we have. Got them as baby’s from a local feed store.

Back
Top Bottom