our first egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yawningreyhound, Feb 1, 2014.

1. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Chillin' With My Peeps

And guess where she laid it.... underneath the coop in the back corner in a nice bed of straw. I had to wiggle in there flat out. I saw that pushed together straw and just had to look! Yup. An egg.Our first in our coop. A strange happiness settles over all
    [​IMG]

2. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    [​IMG]

I just got my first ever egg laid by one of my chickens earlier this week, so I share your excitement!

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Congrats! That's too funny that she squished herself under there. Those chickens will do whatever it takes. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha! It was probably more of a squish for me than it was for her. Ahem.

Jim put some plywood around the outside of the coops' subterranean space and I guess they found it a good spot. The OSB he used had some cutouts in it so it looks like a little peep space they can look out of and since I'd tarped their run, maybe they were drawn under there to see out. Or they just liked that private nest. Since I gave them a "nesting tunnel" inside the coop, they probably don't think they have any privacy. it's ok, I can crawl under there to retrieve eggs; it's good incentive to skip that second helping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by