1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our first hatch!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by greenchickeneer, Dec 25, 2009.

1. greenchickeneer

greenchickeneer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We are proud to annouce the hatching of our first chickies ever. We just got some eggs from our neighbors for taking care of their chickens for the weekend and decided to incubate them. We had to store them for almost a week while we waited for our incubator to arrive and we were very nervous that they would not make it. Well we started with 14 eggs, lost three in the first week (one was sadly dropped). But to our amazement and excitement 9 have hatched and there are 2 more still in the incubator, we will give them some time. Not a great picture but you can see a couple of them.

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations, they are adorable.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Awww, that is great news! Now you do know, don't you, that incubating and hatching is very addictive! I think there is a new program beginning soon, "Hatchers Annonymous!"

Congrats! [​IMG]

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Congrats!!

We are waiting for our incubator to get here, got it for a Christmas present but it's not in yet. So eager to hatch some chicks, I know I should wait til spring but I don't think I can!!

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Congratulations-on fuzzy butts!

I set up my bator to test....Bought it used years ago, and never used it, as I wanted to hatch Parrots....

So now we have dug them out and I have to see if they even work.waiting for DH to bring in New thermometers & Hydrometers...i have a roo and hens, so I will try my mutt eggs first. but not til I am sure the bator works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by