our first loss to a hawk

HathawayHens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
DeLand, FL
so today a hawk got our sussex pullet. My hubby went out with the kids and caught it in the process of eating her. Our coop is a fortress, so they are safe in there, but we like to let them range to get all the grass and bugs that they want. If we leave them locked up for a few days, do you think the hawk will move on? Most of our yard is under an oak tree and has azaleas for cover around the perimeter, but she was just next to the bushes when it got her. I don't think we will string fishing line all over the place, but other ideas would be appreciated. For now the girls are in lock down and safe.
hmm.png
Thanks all!

Quote:
This time of the year we have a big problem with hawks..They fly down with migrating geese and can sometimes find your chickens. I have heard many claims of shiny objects and such, to get rid of them, but I havent tried those. I know its illegal to trap, harm or kill hawks without a permit here in Texas, so you are kinda on your own. A neighbor of mine has told me stories of when he was a little boy, farmers used a pole trap for them. He said it was pretty effective, but again I believe those methods may get you in trouble nowadays...

hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss .. I lost my first one to a hawk a couple weeks ago .. scared me into keeping them locked up for almost a week .. then I couldn't stand it and started letting them free range again when we're home ..

I have had my chickens since March and just lost two this weekend for the first time. I believe it was hawks since the leaves are now off the trees and the chickens are more visible when they free range. Also, I noticed the chickens kept looking upward when they were out which kind of clinched it for me. I decided that I am not going to let them out over the winter unless I can be outside with them the entire time. When they are in their run the top is covered with netting as well as string criss crossed over the run area.

There must be something about this time of year. I had no losses all Spring, Summer and now I have lost 2 in a month to a Redtail and a Coopers hawk. I am also reluctant to let them free range now unless I`m outside.

Sorry for your loss. Our red shoulder hawk(s) stay all winter,so I have to stand outside with the hens while they get their outdoor time.
Keeping them in for a while might help short term,but eventually the hawk will come back around looking for something to eat.

I lost two this year to a hawk. Th first was my favorite rooster, and the second a Golden Comet. They were a month apart, so I wouldn't let your chickens out unsupervised for a long while. Sorry that happened to you, it's awful. I hope you don't lose anymore.
hugs.gif

I've had two Coopers Hawk attacks in a 2 days..the first one killed my favorite bantam hen under the forsythia bush and the second one we headed off right when it nabbed a small hen..she lived..just a puncture to her foot. They are bad this time of year!! A pair of immature eagles were hanging around this past summer and killed my big tom turkey..a rooster and my barred rock..they seem to have moved on..thankfully!!
I am just trying to keep a better eye on them while they are out!

I also lost my first chicken to a hawk this weekend. It happened at around 6:30 am . They have a very safe coop but in the morning I usually open a little poop door which lets them out into a pretty large run which is also fence in but no roof covering. Well I went out and a big old hawk flew out from behind the coop. Scared me to death! I literally counted my chickens and thats when I noticed one was missing.
The hawk must have done it real fast- did not hear a sound! It was very sad especially because it was my youngest daughters chicken which she raised from a chick! I did put netting over their run however this past weekend thought. I hope it helps. I kept them locked up for a few days but they like having their space. Its never easy losing a pet!!!

Back
Top Bottom