Our first predator- UPDATE 3

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
Obviously we'll be trying to kill it. It got a guinea. We believe it's rabid because it came out in broad daylight to do it. Ripped the head off. Ripped the wings off as well but just tossed them to different places in the run. Left the body lying.

I'm reluctant to put the dogs out if it really is rabid. I know shots should protect them but I really love my dogs and I don't wish to see them seriously injured even though I've no doubt they'd rid us of our pest in no time.

So live traps are going to be going out tomorrow. I'm sure we are going to catch all of our neighbors feral cats in the process.

UPDATE:
I went out to count the birds around 8 tonight. My husband had gone out earlier and said he'd caught a couple guineas trying to get back into the chicken run. 3 were missing after last nights attack. I figured they had flown away and would come back. So I take our great pyr with me and we set out to the barn. On the way I could hear a lone peacock crying. Very unnerving. We get into the barn and I see bodies. I'm gripping the dog for all I'm worth terrified of what I'm about to encounter. It's then I see an owl fly up and into the rafters where it gives me the evil eye before flying out of the barn. Various birds were in and around my brooders hiding. I ran inside to get my husband. He grabbed the gun even though we aren't quite sure if you can shoot an owl in our state. So we rounded everyone up. I'm unsure of how many guineas are missing. There were 3 dead chickens and 1 missing. All ducks and peacocks are accounted for.

We caught and locked all the birds up we could find. Tomorrow we are going to be fencing and putting a door on our barn.

Husband just googled and you can't kill owls, federally protected. Guess keeping it out is our only choice.
Here is our predator. Still sticking around.

Last edited:
If you have a .22, that'll get rid of it real fast.

Also, if it IS rabid, perhaps you should call Animal Control.

If you have a .22, that'll get rid of it real fast.

Also, if it IS rabid, perhaps you should call Animal Control.
If we knew where it was sleeping we'd just go shoot it. Not sure where it could possibly be hiding out. We don't have a lot of vegetation or anything around here.

If we live trap it and it's rabid I'll call AC to dispose of it. Just don't really want a rabid animal about at all!

Good luck with the raccoon and so sorry you lost a bird to it.

I have always thought that too about daylight raccoons. When our dogs were just pups I had to shoot one that was on the pathway in broad daylight - just acting dazed..and I think if I remember rightly the pups hadn't even been old enough to get rabies shots yet.

We have had a number of raccoons in traps or just shot outright lately in our yard. I have also seen huge numbers of them as road kill. There are many more of them about than we think....you may be like me and have more than just one.

Good luck with the raccoon and so sorry you lost a bird to it.

I have always thought that too about daylight raccoons. When our dogs were just pups I had to shoot one that was on the pathway in broad daylight - just acting dazed..and I think if I remember rightly the pups hadn't even been old enough to get rabies shots yet.

We have had a number of raccoons in traps or just shot outright lately in our yard. I have also seen huge numbers of them as road kill. There are many more of them about than we think....you may be like me and have more than just one.
It's certainly a possibility. I figure this one is simply brave as hell to venture forth into our dogs territory during the day when they are out. Guess this doesn't look good for our dogs who didn't dispose of it. Course, we keep our dogs fenced. They share a fence with the poultry so I'm sure they were probably hysterically barking at it. Just very very brave. Our property is so well insulated against predators that we are a prey animal sanctuary. You should see our rabbit and ground animal population. Anyway, I guess I figured our dogs were keeping things away pretty sufficiently. Guess we'll need to look into getting a gaurd dog for the chickens.

I saw that owl this morning in my neighbors tree and was stupidly HAPPY to see it. I was so hoping it'd come over and take care of some of our rabbits.

So we've done our research now. A little late but still..... Seems owls usually only kill once per night. This owl killed 2 for sure and 1 may have died from suffocation since I found it in the piled up tower of live and terrified chickens. Turns out it's getting very close to breeding season. Probably hunting for itself and a mate. Awesome! Well, this thing isn't scared of the dogs at all, don't blame it, it's way smarter than they are! lol So, gating the barn is our only option. I should have done it anyway. It's just such a large opening and I really had faith in the dogs. What a hard lesson to learn.

Now that is truly amazing!

Glad that your chickens will be safe. Sorry that some had to be lost. Chickens are so vulnerable.

Mine saw a hawk in a near by dead tree...and they all ran into the coop-run except one that ducked under the nipple-feeder and she just 'froze'...and she wasn't going to move for anything. So now, unless I'm there to shepherd them -- they don't get to free-range...and they are none too pleased with that arrangement.

Thanks for updating....I don't think I would have thought owl.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom