Our first!!

codymax2

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Liverpool, NY
We are going to send 4 to freezer camp this weekend. Kinda nervous but cant wait to taste fresh chicken!!! Any word of advise for a newbie to the process, we plan on pithing then bleeding. Also how long will a fresh bird last in the fridge? Input would be GREATLY appreciated!!

GL!

I'm going to try pithing myself this weekend, but I think I'm going to cut first. I was reading an old poultry book last week that said to slit the jugular first and within 30 seconds pith. I wonder if it makes a difference.

Personally, I'd try the slit jugular and skip the pithing. It is quick, simple and easy. Sharp knife just below the jaw line, in line with the ear. Done. One less step to mess up on.

3 of 4 days in the fridge is about as long as I would hold them. Part out and bag 'em up, let them rest for a few days, then freeze. Save the feet, necks, and backs for stock. You can freeze them whole if you plan on keeping them for a while. Vac seal bags work well for long term storage.

I'm kinda a softy, so I don't want them to feel the slitting. This is my first time so I think it will help me not feel bad =P Thanks for the input!!!!
Quote:

I don't know but I though the pithing was to preveny unnessisary pain?? Definatelt let me know how it goes! How many are you doing??
Quote:

What is pithing?
I am a newbie at raising meaties, we raised and butchered 30 of our own this summer. We chopped the heads off. What else are you supposed to do?
idunno.gif

They sure did taste good.
droolin.gif

For sure I'm doing 4 birds I've marked already. (black zip tie leg band) I've a few others eh, depends on what time I start and whether any are "rescued" from me.

Pithing is where you insert a knife into their brain through a slit in their upper beak and scramble it. It's supposed to make them easier to pluck. The book I was reading just had it in with plucking info/methods and if I remember correctly was the author's preference, though acknowledged as probably not for beginners. Said something to the effect of hang, slit and then pith right away and then dry pluck. Recommended a straight, short, narrow blade. I'm thinking of using a paring knife.

My first 2 are excess roos and mean ones to boot, seemed the perfect time to try.

I have never done this, but from what I understand , in the mouth(top) of the chicken there is a slot and you stick a sharp knife in it towards the BACK of the chickens head and twist, then you slit the juggular for bleeding. What it is supposed to do is make a painless bleed(rather than just cutting their throats) and also instead of all the flapping that goes on when you cut their heads off they just kinda go limp and twitch a little and its supposed to make them easier to pluck, and work with?! Never done it any way but I'll update after I try it and let you know my thoughts.Any words of wisdom for plucking, and cleaning from your experience?
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom