Our girl broke her egg machine???

ChicksnPacas

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Byron, IL
Our Easter Egger who was born on 4/8 laid her first egg on 8/22. We saw her in the nest box and took it out when she left. Since we were watching, we know she laid it.

Now six weeks later, and we've never found another egg. We've searched outside of the nest boxes just in case, we've watched her carefully throughout the day, but no more eggs. Some of our others have started laying, but they are white and brown eggs.

She seems happy and healthy so I don't think she is an internal layer. Does this just happen sometimes? We keep hoping she'll start laying again. She is turning six months old now. Any ideas?

That does seem strange, especially if you are certain that she's not stockpiling them anyplace else. My little Leghorn was doing the same thing when she first started laying. We found that first egg and then nothing. Well my DH has been keeping the push mower in the coop with a tarp over it and one day when we went to get the mower out, surprise! There all of the eggs were! A whole pile of them. She had been getting up under the tarp and laying her eggs. Do you have any place like that, that your chicken could be laying?

She never goes far from the coop, but we've searched everywhere just in case. It's like she laid one and thought she did a good job, and now she's done! The other funny thing is that she never wanted to be held or touched before she laid the egg, then right after her personality turned completely around. Now she is one of the first ones to jump in my lap. So if she never lays another egg, I'll still love her. I just want to make sure it is not going to be a medical issue.

I wish I could help more, but I just don't know what the deal is. I do wish you all the luck with her though and hope that somebody here with more knowledge in this area will step up and help you out.
smile.png

I know it sounds really odd, but she is our only Easter Egger that would lay a green egg. We also saw her walking around squawking out of character, so we kept watching her. She went in the coop, and we stood there like expectant parents and waited for our very first egg! We never had chickens before, so we were very patient and stood there for quite awhile until she was done. Only those on this forum would understand, but it was very exciting to see that beautiful green egg. Just wish we'd get another one
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom