Our groovy coop(with pictures)

Tamidon

Chirping
12 Years
May 23, 2008
Massachusetts
I've had the chicken bug for years, but it took a sudden decrease in employment for me to decide to jmp into it.

It had to be cheap,and mainly recycled goods
I started with a floor of printing pallets,which are more solid than regular pallets
10837_dscf2302.jpg

I had friends over for a coop raising party
10837_dscf2342.jpg

A second day of raising mainly finished it off
10837_dscf2375.jpg

During this we had CHICKS
10837_dscf2221.jpg

Having chicks growing large in a brooder focuses the mind wonderfully
10837_dscf2474.jpg

The finished result
soon to be painted with psychedelic chickens to make it more groovy
Foodtv for cats
10837_dscf2407.jpg

The whole thing cost 125$, the main costs being 2X4's,metal roofing and insulation,which I hadn't been planning on,but we decided to go for it.

Plywood,for sheathing,doors and windows all scavenged.The hardware cloth for the fence was a gift from a friend who had some left over from a dog run.Paint was a mistint from home Depot that happened to be a proposed future colour for my house,tho we think maybe it should be the trim now, too dark for the whole house
It has a lamp on a timer inside,with hanging food. I intend to buy a heated waterer,as I don't like the one i have,and might as well spend the extra 15$ on a heated one to save hauling water out every morning in midwinter

The girls are now 4 months old, all hens(yay) and should start laying in 4-8 weeks.
8 Black australorps

Edit:using DE and deep litter,after 2 months no odour

Last edited:
Quote:
If you look at the "Foodtv" pic you can see the back of the coop into the run, which has another human size door and a pop door with a board run. The rungs on the board run are chopsticks stapled onto it.

Quote:
If you look at the "Foodtv" pic you can see the back of the coop into the run, which has another human size door and a pop door with a board run. The rungs on the board run are chopsticks stapled onto it.

Ahhh okay I see it now. The chopsticks is a great idea which I will use if I need to build one. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom