1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our Hen Hatched Some of Her Eggs But Still Has A LOT More To Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    So, we thought she had hatched all her eggs, but no. She's sitting in there with another hen helping incubate her own and the other hens eggs. Her chicks are just sitting in there waiting for their mom to peck some food in. Will the chicks be okay?

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    How long has it been since first chick hatched????

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    they'll be okay for about 3 days without food although you should put a small dish of water near her nest. if she's a tame hen who doesn't mind you handling her babies, you coulds take them out and offer them food a couple times a day

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We went through that earlier this week, as well. Olga had 6 chicks that had hatched & there were still 2 more unhatched in the nest (well, there were 5 unhatched, but 3 were duds & the other 2 were still warm and were peeping inside). We brought in the two, put one in the incubator (which is on like day 8 of the current batch) and I put the other one, which had pipped the shell, in my bra (got the idea from another BYC thread). After about an hour, I passed the egg off to my husband so I could cook dinner, and he hatched the chick in his shirt on his warm, sweaty belly while I was cooking dinner! He's now the proud mama of a mixed breed/black mottled java chickie!

1 person likes this.
  5. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I love it! Congrats to the new mom LOL!

6. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    This happen to me once before t0o. I had a serama hen on eggs and then another one came and started laying eggs with her a week later. They stayed there together, But when eggs started hatching they both decided they were done sitting on eggs. I told my husband that we should have taken the momma out that had been in there the longest with the chicks that had hatched and left the other momma in there. He didn't like the idea because of course we were leaving to go on vacation for 4 days. When we got back the eggs were cold, but when cracked they all had developed. What should I have done....I didn't have an incubator at the time.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Not sure I understand the part I emphasized above? Mom does not "peck some food in". If she has chicks and is still on the nest, you need to provide food and water within reach for her and the chicks. Since she is still sitting, you may have to help the chicks learn about food and water. Gently dip their beaks in the water and tap you finger on the food, they're pretty fast learners.

Congrats on the hatching! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by