Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bens-Hens, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah good to hear I am on the right track, I will certainly post up some more as they come along. I have read a bit on the Fav's and Marans, but always keen for more opinions. I will go back and finish my post now.
    Riley, the little one, playing on the bed before dinner, fell off and banged the back of his head on the toy shelf...bled a fair amount. Took him to emergency and they eventually glued it shut after a little hair cut.

Nearly 5 year old, he will bounce back, just didn't want him opening it up again (which the nurse did for him anyway!)
    Interesting, you are a font of gene info Pam. Keen to have a read of what ever you can dig up. We had read that the Lav gene was dominated by any other colour, but did not know it cancels out lacing. So much to learn about.

Heading back to finish my last post now :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. Wrightsx4

Wrightsx4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Okay, this one doesn't address lacing but it does explain why lav is disguised by black...assuming bv's are genetically black with gold lacing...which I'm still not sure of either! I'm just a font of uncertainty today! (Brother's wedding reception last night. Sleepy brain)
    http://planetpoultry.com.au/content/18-genetics
    I can't find where I read about the lav blocking patterns - I could be remembering incorrectly. A while back I was reading about self blue (lav) and found it so I'm trying to find it...

3. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Found it - misremembered it so ignore the blocking comment, it takes 2 copies of the recessive lav gene to block - which yours would have only one. I do think the previous link I posted will explain the chicks being black though.
    Ouch for Riley! Kids are so resilient - I'm sure it won't hold him back even for the day.

4. Bens-Hens

Was a good link, a heap of it sailed over my head though, but I will sit down now it's quiet and have another go. I wonder if it will still get some sort of gold lacing or something?

I had a look last night and found a Barnevelder x Americana, was very good looking. It's hard to find pics though as once it's a blue egg layer cross, people stick to calling them EE's, which makes finding what original breeds they were a bit tricky.

Guess we will just have to wait that one out a bit.

The new flock was just vaccinated for MD, man I dislike that job. I also eggtopsied the last two eggs, the Australorp was not fully developed but the Maran was pretty much there, it's nostrils were still closed off but I would estimate it was in the last couple of days that it died.

Incubator pre-clean started tonight, full scrub and disinfect tomorrow ready for a few Coronation Sussex to join the party :D

Time to go back and read up on those genetics!

5. Bens-Hens

I missed this one earlier.

I will go for a little lower humidity next time, but I was just looking over my other table (daily checks, turns, humidity etc) and I think I may have calculated 'ideal' weight to Day 21, is 13% to Day 18 or 21? Towards the end, we were down to about 45% humidity.

Think we will aim for 50% the whole time next hatch, that seems to have worked well for us in the past.

Hopefully we do scoop a few pullets, at least one of each mix/breed to keep for ourselves.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

the goal is 13% at 21 days

I would go with 40%. you can always slow down the dryout by upping the humidity at day 10 or 15.

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Grats on your chicks Ben, I'm sure you'll have better luck with coro than I'm having.[​IMG]
    Went out this morning to find another 2 x hatched and squashed under broody. It's almost as though she feels them wiggling under her and goes " oh no you don't, your not goin anywhere " squish. Oh well the ability to lay eggs does not a good mother make. Next lot are going under my trusty old Silkie. She has hatched Wyandotte , barnevelder, Silkie and Sussex. She knows no prejudice and has a maternal instinct to die for, and I have come to the conclusion that short of arking up the bator again, she is the only one I can trust with King George 's offspring . Reminds me of another monarchs woes with his wives ,unfit to bare him sons. Off with their heads!
    Hope Riley bounces back.[​IMG]

8. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Lol, no that link really isn't an easy read. I don't understand whole sections of it but what I do understand is quite informative.

Maybe they'll develop some pretty gold leakage within the black? Just a thought.
    They may not have lacing in this generation but likely carry the gene which would show up in their offspring if bred back to a laced roo...Assuming they're pullets of course!
    If I remember correctly your bv's are single laced (carry Columbian restrictor)? I love seeing how the mixed ones turn out, especially knowing who the parents are and seeing what traits appear.

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

congrats fancychooklady on the byc picture of the week

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Thanks Oz[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by