Our Miracle Coop

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
This is a coop we made from completely free materials from contractors/companies that we know. We got 2 Jersey Giant pullets (they're actually roosters) and people wanted to pitch in with helping build our coop because they liked the breed so much. They started to donate materials to my husband without us asking or even knowing we needed a new bigger coop and it became our miracle coop. Only thing left to do is the trim, roof, and paint, which we have but haven't got around to it due to our schedules. It took about 2 weeks to make and it is completely solid. We had the help of an amazing friend in 100 degree weather to get this 8x8 coop done. It's 9 feet tall, which our two bantam polish love because they fly as high as they can to roost.

We have added vents and such, but I just haven't taken a recent picture. The smaller coop is also gone because the ducklings are using it permanently in their own run.

It has a door on the side that you can walk through to collect the eggs. There are 3 nesting boxes and a tiered roost. The flooring is made out of pvc sheets so it's easy to clean whether it's shoveling or washing.
IMG_20190630_184729.jpg

Pretty cool!
Wants to see the inside too, please?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @FortCluck
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-14_17-37-35.png

That looks like a lot of pallets! Awesome job! How many pallets was it? We'll be starting our own coop build before too long and your coop is such good use of materials I might steal some of the design.

We pulled the roofing pallets over a 2x4 structure.

My husband says it's 16 total. He picked through hundreds of pallets and said the roofing material ones are the best. The bottom is two huge pressure treated pallets that are used for very heavy material (I forgot what material was on them). We got everything from a building supply company owner. We used a nail gun that's hooked to a compressor and used 2-2 1/2 inch nails.

It's built to withstand a lot. He said they built it to last many years.

They made the door out of two pallets as well, it's truly awesome. It was all my husband's vision.

what an awesome use of recycled materials, looks like your chickens will be very happy with it and makes it possible on a budget.
Welcome to BYC by the way. eggcited to have you with us
I'm really big into recycling material and reusing things. We used a milk crate for a nesting box and also some random small shelf looking thing (really don't know what it is but it works). We also got a free nesting box from a friend (brand new his chickens wouldn't use it), it was $30 new at tractor supply so we were excited to have it given to us. He also sold us a 30 foot by 40 foot dog kennel for only $200 which we are using for our ducklings until they are a bit older.

We have been truly blessed with great people coming into our lives.

I'm really big into recycling material and reusing things. We used a milk crate for a nesting box and also some random small shelf looking thing (really don't know what it is but it works). We also got a free nesting box from a friend (brand new his chickens wouldn't use it), it was $30 new at tractor supply so we were excited to have it given to us. He also sold us a 30 foot by 40 foot dog kennel for only $200 which we are using for our ducklings until they are a bit older.

We have been truly blessed with great people coming into our lives.

:clap:thumbsup

So awesome!! My church just built an 8x8 coop for me, and they spent $600 on it! Feeling both sad and blessed now...

Sadder still (or just cuckoo), I need more space so I can separate the birds I want to sell from my pets. Was already thinking about pallets because they are often free on Craigslist. Your coop is an inspiration! How was the frame built? Did you take some pallets apart to fill the gaps in the ones you used? It looks great!

Back
Top Bottom