Our new baby chicks

South Dakota Guy

Songster
Feb 22, 2023
South Dakota
My Coop
My Coop
My just picked up a dozen female silver laced Wyandotte chicks from the post office last night. My wife and father-in-law think that they look like tarantulas. I think they look more like bumble bees. Now just image the incessant peeping from 12 chicks in our downstairs family room!
SLW Chicks.jpg

Adorable, ❤ I love their coloring!
Thanks! My wife raised some from chicks last year and she really enjoyed the whole process. Ok, maybe not the wiping of pasty butts. It's interesting watching their coloring change as their feathers come in. I have heard tell that when it comes to silver laced Wyandotte hens, the more show quality the bird, the less productive in the egg laying department. That has held true with last years chicks. My wife only wants to add three or four more SLW's and sell the other 8 or 9. I wonder if she will choose beauty over personality?

Thanks! My wife raised some from chicks last year and she really enjoyed the whole process. Ok, maybe not the wiping of pasty butts. It's interesting watching their coloring change as their feathers come in. I have heard tell that when it comes to silver laced Wyandotte hens, the more show quality the bird, the less productive in the egg laying department. That has held true with last years chicks. My wife only wants to add three or four more SLW's and sell the other 8 or 9. I wonder if she will choose beauty over personality?
Show quality are usually more Heritage types and yes, they do lay less. But Hertiage breeds live longer lives. Wyandottes are a wonderful breed to keep!

Back
Top Bottom