1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our new/first nestboxes finished and installed - nestbox pics also

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    My DH did such a good job using recycled materials to build this - I wanted to share it.

We used 2 old cabinets and attached them together - one side was made into 2 nestboxes, the other into storage. They are up off the ground, which gives the chickens more room to walk or... if we end up needing a 4th box, I will slip a pet kennel underneath for an extra nest box. The third box (see far corner) is an old cat litter box.

The storage bin side holds a 50 lb. bag of feed - the other side above the nest boxes can hold extra egg cartons or a small bag of clean litter for refilling the nest boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have 11 chickens and are not sure whether we need 3 or 4 boxes yet. They are 17 weeks old now - hopefully they will start laying soon. The white objects in the 3 nestboxes are golf balls and a small plastic egg filled with sand.

2. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    That's awesome! Great idea for a storage area. I think the general rule is one nesting box for 4 hens, so 3 nesting boxes should be enough for 11 hens.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That is really a nice nesting area. I love the top. Very good idea

4. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Thats very nice!! Good job.[​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps