Our new Great Dane puppy!

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
Since we lost our dog Blaze, I've been looking for another dog. Not a puppy, I said. Puppies need to be housebroken. Puppies chew on everything. Puppies take so much time. Puppies take so much energy. Puppies aren't housebroken. This was my mantra.

I wanted a lab, or a mutt from the pound. Large-ish, family friendly, around a year old.

My husband waned another Great Dane. We lost our previous Dane, Pharaoh, to Addison's disease at age 4. I said no more Great Danes! Too high risk, too many possible health issues. Also no Bassset hounds, no English bulldogs, for the same reason. I want hybrid vigor! And no puppies! They're not housebroken, and they chew, remember?

So, New Year's Eve I find myself picking up a 3 month old Great Dane puppy, as a surprise for my husband. What on earth was I thinking? Did I mention he's been offered a full time position at work, and I'm still doing minimal work, all from home? Guess who gets to housebreak the puppy? And I paid good money for the privilege!
roll.png

It was all worth it, though, when I brought her home. He was still sleeping. I kinda woke him up and told him I had something for him. Dumped 25 pounds of wiggling, licking puppy right on the bed with him!
lau.gif
Woke him right up, let me tell you! He pulled the blanket back, pulled her against his chest and she fell right asleep, like throwing a switch.

So, here's our new girl, Eve. She's such a good girl! I'd forgotten how much Great Dane puppies sleep, she takes nice long naps. And is very treat motivated, so housebreaking is going well. Did I mention she's not housebroke?

The things I do for that man!
love.gif

She's beautiful! We lost one of our danes this summer. Otis was beyond special. We still have Dino who is actually older (8). Once you have had danes its hard not to have them anymore. We keep saying no more after Dino goes, but I know I will.

Good luck with the housetraining. What fun!

thank you all! She sure keeps me busy.

Her name is Eve, cause we got her on New Year's Eve. Just seemed to work.

I've been told the color is called merlequin--like a harlequin but with merle colored spots instead of solid spots like a regular harlequin. I think they're one of those colors you have to be careful breeding because they can throw solid white pups with blue eyes that are deaf. Haven't looked into that much, but have no plans whatsoever to breed her, so it's not a pressing concern. She's not deaf, but for a puppy she's sure good at ignoring you!

Gramma--can I ask what happened to Otis? and how old he was?
Dino being 8 sounds pretty good to me.

My husband was talking about our previous dog Pharaoh, only living 4 years. He said for him, it was totally worth it, despite losing the dog so young. So, here we go again!

Back
Top Bottom