Our new life: Welcome to Bane MicroFarm!

Update from THE FARM!

It feels INCREDIBLE to say that we're finally on our homestead property. It's been a challenging few months of renovations, meetings with realtors, all the while still working our jobs AND raising our flock of two dozen + babies.

Speaking of! Here's where our flock stands in numbers, after a recent bout of cocci, we lost two, but are confident the rest of the flock are gonna make it;

-7 Sulmtalers
-8 Cream Crested Legbars
-3 Ayam Cemani
-5 Naked Necks
-1 Zilver Appenzeller Spitzhauben
- 4 Narragansett cross turkeys
and 7 little barnyard fluffies of mixed bloodlines.

We're planning on upping our numbers drastically as soon as 2017 ordering permits. Today, we commence the building of coops and chicken tractors for everyone on site. So pumped. This thread is about to explode with pictures.

Just found this thread and very excited to subscribe. I have been trying for a year to find the right country property so I can expand my flock and have some more animals. I am really looking forward to seeing your homestead project develop! Congratulations on the move and on the beautiful property.

Just found this thread and very excited to subscribe. I have been trying for a year to find the right country property so I can expand my flock and have some more animals. I am really looking forward to seeing your homestead project develop! Congratulations on the move and on the beautiful property.
Thank you! We're very excited to show more! Tomorrow I'll try and finish our first tractors so I can get into the fun stuff! So far, it's been the grueling stuff.

Best of luck on your search! We've been incredibly blessed to have inherited this property from Eric's grandfather.

Wow! Im loving this online journal of yours :) What a beautiful property you have! I live on a ranch/farm( more than 30 acres) with my family, with more animals than i know what to do with! Addiction! So best of luck on your journey.

Would love to see some more pics, especially of that little border collie pup of yours! And those chickens! :) Glad that the damage was not too bad, do you plan on giving your farm a name?

Subscribing.

-Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangrooster

Wow! Im loving this online journal of yours
smile.png
What a beautiful property you have! I live on a ranch/farm( more than 30 acres) with my family, with more animals than i know what to do with! Addiction! So best of luck on your journey.

Would love to see some more pics, especially of that little border collie pup of yours! And those chickens!
smile.png
Glad that the damage was not too bad, do you plan on giving your farm a name?

Subscribing.

-Mustang

Very excited to have you joining us! I'll definitely have to try and get photos of Onyx, our pooch, he's currently staying with friends while we get everyone settled in coops/reinforce the property fences so he has no places that connect to the interstate to escape from. :)

We have a penchant for super villains, we've been toying with the idea of naming ourselves "Bane Micro Farm" :)

Sorry you lost a bird, but thank you so much for these pictures -- they really brightened my day. Your little birds are so cute. I sympathize about finding it stressful when you rely somewhat on help with DIY stuff and it doesn't always come through when you need it to. You sound pretty on top of things, though -- I am sure it will all start to come together soon.

PS love to see the Ayam Cemani -- so cool.

Last edited:
Update from the Farm:

We've been hard at work turning our into a lovely, productive piece of land.

I'll start where things are the calmest: Crops. So far, we've cleared a garden bed out, and now, it's time to till it all. We do have a Mantis rototiller, and I plan on tilling it until it's nice and soft. Afterwards, we'll be planting a row or two or greens and seeing what pops up. Our citrus is doing..... luke-warm. We have one kumquat tree who is producing great, but our lemon, our tangerines AND our oranges.... nothing. Hopefully there's more to up-date you guys on next time. Right now we don't have much to speak of in the gardening front.

The animals, however, we're super busy with! We've begun clearing out a wood-lot because a very kind neighbor saved us three piglets from a litter they had. They're pure-bred Yorkshires in Black, Brown and Red. We're excited to have them on the property. However, clearinig out land and then setting up adequate fencing for these guys.... that'll be easier said than done. We got about half of the clearing done today. We still have lots of building to do.

On the chicken front, here's how things are stacking up!!

-5 black Sex-Links
-5 Naked Necks
-6 Sulmtalers
-3 Ayam Cemani
-7 Crested Cream Legbars

We've got plans to expand to expand our Sulmtaler and Naked Neck breeding programs to refine the breeds. The sex-links are going into production roles. Layers or table birds, depending on gender. We're planning on selling a pair of the Cemani, and retaining back a rooster to cross into a line of fibro-NNs I'll eventually breed. (Starting with crossing him with our black NNs, and from there working on the lines.) the other NNs are going to be crossed with our spare sulmtaler cockerels to add some SIZE to the birds. We love the naked necks efficiency, but their size is making it hard to create a true NN broiler. We're determined to do this WITHOUT bringing in cx into the equation. It's good we the sex-links are a direct sibling to our NNs, it does mean we have some good production possibilities, I think

Our four turkeys continue to grow and be the general pleasant birds they've always been, I can't wait to order more to breed, since these four are closely related.

Back
Top Bottom