Our New Second Coop for our last two birds...

MassivelyScrambled

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Northern California
So I needed space for our final two chicks which we are raising now. We decided for a smaller self contained coup where the old run down coop used to be. We didn't need another big coop, since I built that earlier this year on the other side of the yard and two more chickens puts us at our max for our town. So I decide on a modified A Frame design with a pulley operated ramp that raises for cleaning. It has a laying area and 3/4 length perch inside as well. We like the idea of having the enclosed run underneath and it takes up minimal space in that corner of our yard.
smile.png
DSC03519.jpg
DSC03525.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Can you please give me the dimensions and the level of carprentery skills needed??? Also how many chickens will fit???
Love the design:thumbsup
Ayda

Quote:
Txs for the reply.... The base is 5 ft wide by 6 ft long. It's 5 ft 3 inches to the peak of the roof and the frame is made of about (18) 2x2x8ft while it takes (3) sheets of 1/2 inch plywood for the roof sides and the interior floor, and some various hinges latches etc. Cutting the angles for the "A"s does take a mitre box or other type of angle cutter and some basic carpentry tools and skills. Overall not too bad to build. Requires a helper for some piece-fitting /tacking things into place. I used one roll of 36 inch high by 20 ft long 1/2 mesh galvanized wire as it adds lots of strenght to the structure and required no cutting of the top or bottom of the roll. We spent just over $300 total for the materials (not counting the nest box I built out of scraps). It was really fun and so very space efficient for our yard. Underneath the right side are also two hooks and quick releases for when we hang the feeder and waterer. I also nixed the fold down door seen on most A frames since you have to walk or climb over it to get in or clean inside the bottom, we decided on a side open door and my GF and I are very glad we chose that option.

Two to three hens would be comfy. If I made the perch 6 inches longer you could probably perch four hens, but I don't think I want to have more than four in it honestly. For our two newbies this will be like a little chalet! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom