Our newest addition....Hawk!

Quote:
He's goofy! lol Typical Lab I guess.

Dusti, my original dog is very quick to pick up on subtle hints, very soft and easy to train. Subtle, goes right over Hawk's head! It's kinda funny. He's the type one might look at and call him stupid.

I gotta get them out for a walk before it gets any later!

love.gif

I'm back from the walk. It went VERY well. He seemed fine on the leash alone, but I wondered about wrangling two dogs. Dusti usually walks with a drive. I don't require my dog to heel, just to respond to me and not drag me.

I was afraid he might meander around a lot and annoy Dusti, but it was actually Dusti that stopped to sniff and take off on tangents! He is well trained to walk as well as I require. It's AWESOME!!!!!!!!
He's a dog that fetches, plays with Dusti, and walks pleasantly!! What more could I ask for????

Oh, and it's only his second night but some of the newness is already wearing off. He's already becoming less hyper in the house.

I priced chainlink at Home Depot tonight.
ep.gif
Holy Dr. Pepper! To fence 75 feet is gonna cost me a whole paycheck!
NOW I remember why we decided on welded wire for the back yard
he.gif
BUT I understand DH's desire for it to look "neighborhoodly" instead of farmish. LOL

Hopefully hawk doesn't do what hawks do and go for the chickens once no one is looking.... hey if you got the dog on CL maybe you can find the chainlink on CL... I have!!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I just put up a wanted ad. Maybe I can save a $$ or two. Our free dog has already cost $100 for the biggest crate available! LOL

His previous owner said that he had about $2,000 invested in him, and hated to part with him. I think he's better bred than your "typical" free dog. He gave us 3 months of Hartguard and I think 6 tubes of Frontline, so we won't have to buy meds for a little while.

I feed raw, and Hawk is taking to it like he was always raw fed. I don't think he's too picky, seems to eat everything, but had NO trouble figuring out that meat = food! He also managed the bones like a pro. I started him off with one pork rib last night -- which is Dusti's favorite bone so I figured it would be easy for him to chew. Plus, I picked up 30lbs of them on sale yesterday. That went down so well that I gave him 4 tonight.
We had to clear out some room for his crate, so the living room is a royal mess right now, but here's a full body pic while he was eating.

HawkRaw001.jpg

HawkRaw002.jpg

Oh, and I'm gonna have to learn to take 2 doggy bags on walks!!! I had one, as always, and fortunately only needed one, but stupid me should have remembered that 2 dogs probably = 2 poops. LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
That was kinda my initial reaction when they told me his name
Yeah.
Guess we're gonna keep the name though, since I suck at coming up with new names and it sounds enough different from "Dusti" to meet my criteria
tongue.png

The good news is: He doesn't seem to be interested in chasing chickens!!!!!!!
I took him out on the 20ft leash and he ignored the chickens. Then we let him off and threw the frizbee while the birds were out, he still barely even looked at them. We are gong to fence them separately when I can't supervise, but it doesn't look like he's a killer.
He *does* bark at my cats. Socks, the female scratched his nose the first night so he leaves her alone now, but for some reason he has a thing for barking at Tiger.

He's a Lab. NEVER forget that Labs are "bird-dogs". WHEN he gets after a chicken, it WON'T be his fault!

(Although he'll PROBABLY just "bring it to you.")

I wouldn't "trust him Alone with Chickens"...

Nature is nature.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom