Our over-achiever Broody hen!

jbeal9

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009

I have never heard of this but my broody hen was apparently taking care of 2 nests simultaneously! She made her first nest between 2 bales and was sitting on 10 eggs. 7 hatched. The next day when I went to check on her she had moved her little family to the other side of the bale. It seemed odd but I didn't think much about it until the next day when I checked on her and she had 10 more chicks! A hidden nest with 14 eggs! Yes, a total of 17 chicks! She continued to sit on that nest for 3 more days until I finally pulled out the 4 remaining duds. No need for me to incubate this year I guess. :)

Last edited:
ep.gif
holy baby chicks batman ~ the best bator ever

Must have been that or she was tag-teaming with another hen.. although we never saw another hen in there. At night when we shut the chicken house up, my husband always counts the chickens on the roost and all of them were up there except Broody. I don't know how she did it. And I think, if I hadn't forced her off, she would have sat on nest # 2 awhile longer. It's mystery! And oh my goodness.. is she protective! when I pulled the last few eggs out of there, she tried to eat my face off! A very determined mama!

Yes.. it was quite a wonderful surprise! She nearly tripled our flock with one hatch!

We're thinking she'll be our 'Go To Girl' every year. Hoping her broody mama skills will be passed on to her babies!

Back
Top Bottom