Our Pekins at 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dragonflydreamsfarm, Apr 22, 2011.

1. dragonflydreamsfarm

dragonflydreamsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Northeast TN
    We picked up 6 Pekin at Tractor Supply on 4/11. They are pretty cool and seem to be doing well, but are fairly wild now (only handled them every other day or so). Now if I only had time to finish digging the pond and waterfall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Awww [​IMG]

3. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    That last pic... omgosh... how cute [​IMG]

4. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    its like he's looking into my own eyes...speaking to me. what mesmerizing creatures!!! adorable. congrats !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dragonflydreamsfarm

dragonflydreamsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Northeast TN
    We thought that last picture was clearly the best of all of them too. I don't know how we got lucky enough to catch that expression but it is totally adorable.

6. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    They look very cute, but I don't understand why people get Pekins? They get a lot and is 100% dependent on their owners for survival. There was another thread about someone's duck getting attacked. I guess you will have to be more careful. I hate it when defenseless animals gets attacked (which includes humans...).

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Why dont you understand why people get Pekins. They are big white beautiful ducks. If you get ducks then yes ALL domestic ducks are dependent on thier owners for proper feed, clean water, safe housing. Pekins are not different to say Rouen ducks, they are just as big as a Pekin or a bit smaller but they are just as dependednt to humans as Pekins. Ay least we get ducks to care for them, if im not mistaken Ive just read 1 of your post where you are going to be taking in someones ducks but want to know where to release them. You dont release domestic ducks out into the wild when they have been hand raised, they will be killed by other ducks or whatever else can kill them, so dont give me this BS that you dont know why people get Pekins. I dont know why people get ducks in the first place if they are not willing to care for them. My Pekins are less likely to get killed that the ducks you are thinking of releasing.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  8. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Quote:Quote:[​IMG] Bravo gofasterstripe! That was well said! [​IMG] Since joining BYC I have admired your knowledge of everything duck [​IMG] I have 2 pekin 2 rouen and 2 khaki and my pekin are the best of the bunch! they have personality, courage to try new things and are much smarter than people think. I plan on getting more pekins because they are so smart, beautiful and the leaders of our flock... even the chickens flock!

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have knowledge because I look into things before I jump in with 2 feet. Everything I know comes from either other people here on BYC or from searching the internet. Im sorry but I just dont understand how people can go out get a few ducks then come and ask how to care for them. If your going to get ducks...or any kind of animal, look into it first, read all about what your getting, how to care for the properly. Dont just get them because they are cute and cuddly. Everything starts out as cute and cuddly but they soon grow up and then thats where the interest dissapears because they eat to much, they make a mess, they are smelly, you cant be bothered to clean out their house and you cant pick them up and cuddle them any more. Im not pointing fingers at anyone, all I ask is that you thik about what you are taking on, ducks have a long life span and I hope that in many years to come I still have my original ducks god willing.
    Sorry just had to get that out to [​IMG] maybe I got out of bed on the wrong side this morning [​IMG] maybe I need to go outside and sit with my ducks and watch them make a mess and dig bigger craters for me to fall down into and break an ankle. Maybe I need to go sit with my 7 ducklings I homed 2 1/2 weeks ago but the parents brought them back to me because the kids didnt bother with them after the cuteness fell out of them and the ducks are scared of everything that moves.
    Oh and bt03..Thank You, enjoy your ducks and I hope you have many years with them. [​IMG] ...time for another coffee.

10. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Just got two of these little darlings today - they're about three days old. I also got two Rouen ducks, both male. I already have six chickens (a year old) and this is my first foray into ducks but I love them already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by