Our White Leghorn is suddenly not laying her eggs where I can find them! Help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrycakelady, Sep 7, 2013.

1. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Okay, we have one white Leghorn, the other 13 are Golden Comets and Red Sexlinks....they have been laying great....the leghorn the past 3 days has started flying out, she does fly...that is another story....and I can not find ANY of her eggs...she has done a great job of hiding them. :( We are getting ready to clip wings for the simple reason that hunting season starts mid October...I will not be able to let them free range without the fear of a dog getting them...so far, it's been okay....they have a very small area that they are using....but I can not take any chances, with hunting dogs running up here....***and before this starts any debates***, YES, we have hunting beagles, they are 75 foot away in heavy secured pens. The chickens are aware of them........they do not go near them, and I can attest to that. The beagles don't even pay them any mind...but that can change too, I know that.

Is my leghorn thinking that she can be a Mama to these eggs she has hid? We DO NOT have a rooster, so her chances are NONE, lol......does she want to be a Mama that bad? They have been laying for almost 2 months, are 6 moths old this week...is she taking a break? I am clueless........the only way I know to find her and where she's laying at, is to get up EARLY tommorrow morning and watch her........ ???

2. I thin your best solution is what you already stated. Clip (heavily) the leghorns wings on one side only. That should keep her in for a few weeks and then you will know for sure if she laying still.

Wish ya the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by