Our Woods style coop

This is how I did the milling - using an Alaskan Saw Mill attachment for my chainsaw.

So at this stage of construction only the 6x6 posts, the two 2x6 headers, and 3 rafters on the top level and 3 on the bottom level were dimensional lumber . ( and the plywood floor )

Here is a later photo than what my dear wife posted. I built the door using tongue and groove boards. Most of the trim is wood cut on site. The steps are obviously pressure treated lumber from the lumber yard.

Working on the run and mounting the ramp to the pop door.

The floor is vinyl over the plywwod.

The roost assembly is mounted to the studs using a threaded rod and an oversize hole, so the whole thing can pivot up and hook on the rafters for cleaning.

Your coop is amazing , especially using your own trees for the lumber . Great job !
thumbsup.gif

Arty, I have never seen an attachment like that for a saw, Is it rough on the saw? What Model saw is that a Husky 450? Wonder how long the saw will hold up to that kind of use.

I see your in the Hudson valley If you Dont mind where at? I am also.

The milling attachment is an Alaskan Saw Mill - link here - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316891_200316891

The saw is a Husqvarna 455 Rancher. Is it "rough" on the saw? I don't know if it is outside the design specifications of the saw, but the saw does work hard. I bought a ripping chain that makes a smoother cut. I have owned this saw for about 15 months and cut dozens of trees, both hard and soft wood, cut a huge pile of lumber. and it still works great. Even if it died today I would say I got good value from the saw. But it still runs great and I expect lots more service. I am impressed with this Husqvarna chainsaw.

Don't let anyone tell you lumber you mill yourself is "free". There is a sweat equity there not understood by those who have not done it. My motivation was with the number and size of the trees I needed to remove, just burning them seemed a waste and a huge job. And I learned a valuable skill in being able to mill lumber if an emergency dictated.

I am in Ulster County.

I have a Husqvarna 450 and a 55 Rancher, which is the same as the 455 but they say it is a little more rugged then the 455 who knows but I like them both, I also have a Stihl Saw, I cut a lot of wood here. My Coop is built with Lumber from here also buddy owns a mill.

I live in Sullivan County.

I was checking out your WoodsCoop. You get some serious cold weather up your way in the winter. Are you going to be able to close some of those window/ventilation in the winter? I know mine is closed up except for the open front. Looks like you used Smartside siding from Lowes. That's what I used, and it has held up well.
Jack

I was checking out your WoodsCoop. You get some serious cold weather up your way in the winter. Are you going to be able to close some of those window/ventilation in the winter? I know mine is closed up except for the open front. Looks like you used Smartside siding from Lowes. That's what I used, and it has held up well.
Jack
I have fitted glass windows for the screened side windows. Those are stored in the coop on the wall. I did not want to use a double hung style, as I wanted it open the full length. I am considering what to do with the top vent. I did not want to do a window that opened outward, as it would catch dirt and rain. I have all summer to come up with a plan.

Dr Woods did all his work with open front houses in New England states. His point throughout the book was that chickens handle cold very well. I am reluctant to close the top vent totally, as that would disrupt the air flow and the ventilation is still very important in winter. It will be a learning process.

I read your thread on your coop, Jack. Very nice job!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom