Out of dog food. What would you do?

schmije

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Peoria, IL
Somehow I managed to run out of dog food on the same day that the roads are covered in ice, and I can't get out. I was positive that there was another bag in the barn. Last night and this morning I fed them a concoction of green beans, dog cookies, cat food and the last little bit of dog food. I can't get to the store until at least tomorrow. I have all the staples, including rice and a can of Mighty Dog, so I'd like to mix up something for the next couple of meals. I have 2 labs that are about 75 lbs each. What are some ideas that aren't too complicated?

So far they think they're getting a treat, so I guess it's not all bad. They LOVE green beans.

I would feed them cat food. A day or two of it won't hurt them-they'll probably thank you for it!
wink.png

(ewww.. cat food... too rich.. you may pay for that one!)

honestly, the dogs won't die if they had to skip a meal or two... but in a pinch I'd feed rice, venison, cooked eggs and veggies. I'd also consider one of the meat rabbits or a chicken if I had surplus and didn't have a filler like rice.

Quote:
I have never fed my dogs 'dog food' - EVER! I cook for them daily - 2 over age 12, one is 8 and one is 7. 2 large, 1 med and 1 tiny.

Dogs need a well balanced diet like humans - so meat, fish or eggs for their protein. Beef, salmon, chicken, turkey, bison. . .lean, not fatty cooked and any fat drained off.

Carbs. . .whole wheat pasta or brown rice is preferable - but regular pasta (cross cut so they won't choke) will be alright. . .ditto with white rice.

Veggies - I put mine in the food processor and get it down to tiny pieces. . .carrots, asparagus, broccoli, califlour, green beans. . .just about anything but avoid corn as it sometimes spurs allergies and really doesn't offer much nutritionally

Dogs also love baked or mashed sweet potatoes!

No cooked bones, no excessive fat. . .cut it up small. they will be fine

Figure for labs that size 1 1/2 cups of carbs, 1/2 - 1 cup of protein and 1/2 - 1 cup of veggies each

Mine LOVE cooked oatmeal - not instant! Great breakfast in cold weather

They also love soup! Chicken soup, pea soup - no onions in it. . .noodles etc, cross cut - make the soup warm, not hot.

You can also take a can of tuna, drain it well - I usually only have white meat tuna in the house - and toss it with pasta noodles (cross cut after cooking) add some peas and place in casserole with some velveta cheese to make a tuna casserole type deal.
smile.png
Good stuff - just with all of what I mentioned - remember warm is fine - just not hot - dogs won't stop if it burns their mouth
sad.png

Oooh, I feel for ya!

Luckily, Labs aren't usually too picky.

Grab the crockpot.

Canned sardines or mackeral.
Canned or frozen veggies.
Ground beef or pork.
Frozen bits of whatever, and clean out the fridge.
Sweet potatoes.

Add rice and the proper amount of water it calls for and let cook until it's a mush. Mine LOVE it.

*Warning - if you use the fish? It will stink your house up something awful, put it on the porch.

I'd say no to catfood - gastric problems from too much protein:rolleyes: Dogs can eat a bit here and there - but you will have diareaha if you give the dogs cat food as a meal. Catfood is about 80% protein which is why a dog won't get sick -as in ill from eating cat food, but a cat could die if it ate dog food as a steady diet.

Back
Top Bottom