Out Of Feed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, May 22, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am out of feed and will be able to get more monday. Yes, I know stupid me but it slipped right over my mind. Would it be ok to give them some flock raiser when they are done with the little they have left tommorow? I know that some chickens are raised on flock raiser and such but the reason I ask this is because I have heard if you are planning on moving them over to another feed that you should do it over a period of time. I suppose I don't have much of a choice in this matter comparing the negatives of doing so with them going hungry. I could provide some veggies but I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it as their only source of food even with the little food left.

I am sorry for the rambling but I was thinking this out as I typed. Your opinion in this would be appreciated.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi! I think it will be okay... they'll not die or anything...
    Its better than them going hungry. [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You don't say how old they are, but my entire flock is on flockraiser or gamebird feed (depends on what is in stock at the feed store) and they do great on it. I find it easier to keep them on the flockraiser and keep oyster shell out free choice so the layers can meet their calcium needs. It used to be a huge pain trying to keep the chicks out of the layer feed (too much calcium) and the layers out of the chick feed (too expensive) but between the flockraiser and oyster shell everybody gets what they need and nothing that they shouldn't.

ETA: I switch back and forth between the two feeds all the time and have never had any problems so I'm pretty sure yours will be just fine. The major issue people seem to have is when they go from crumbles to pellets. Some birds that are raised on crumbles seem to have a hard time understanding that the pellets are food too so it's best to make that change gradually.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I agree with
    Kitty mama.
    But I
    have used dry cat food
    its high in protein.and I have switched ASAP
    what I understand.
    its not necessary to do a drawn out
    process changing Feed just do it.
    I have never lost a one.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I never run out of feed. Yeah right. It happened this month. I went out of state for my dad's funeral and we had a friend watch the animals. Should have know better cause he has a very fat cat.
    Everybody looked great but then I noticed eggs slowed down. The dogs I figured since they were kenneled while we were gone, just needed to excersize. Weird but oh well.
    Then I got really low on scratch and moved the next bucket up. EMPTY! He fed them over 15 pounds in less than a week! Then I opened the dog food and it was empty so I grabbed the bucket and had enough for 2 days. Almost 50 lbs of dog food!
    Luckily he hadn't figured out the layer pellets.
    All the birds had pellets. My roos didn't look too happy about it, but tossed in some veggies and pasta and they were good. Fat things needed to lose weight anyway.LOL Anyway I had 2 days before I could go to the feed store and they were fine with pellets and grower.
    Oh and they also had bran cereal. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by