Out of Hand Bullying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MEMama3, Dec 16, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I have two hens that are obviously bottom of the pecking order (out of 7). Up until recently, it was no big deal, typical pecking order stuff. As of recently, it's getting into pure bullying. I'm starting to wonder how much they are eating as they are now a bit smaller than the others. I have been closing the bullies out for an hour or so each day so the others can eat in peace (giving the bullies their daily scraps so hopefully they are too distracted to notice the other two are missing). I hate to remove the two victims because I don't think they'd ever get a warm welcome back, but I don't know which of the remaining hens is the "lead bully" to remove her for a bit. Suggestions?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I hear your concern and empathize. The least girl in my pecking order stands alone. I feel so bad for her. When I toss in BOSS and cracked corn, I make sure to spread it far and wide and get some near her, but even then she hesitates to eat for fear that someone will chase her. She's too timid to come to me for hand out treats. You're doing the best you can do on her behalf. I find myself dancing the line between survival of the fittest, and they're farm animals, vs. they're pets. But the reality of it for me is that unless I want a house chicken, I have to let nature take it's course.

3. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    That is sort of where I'm at right now. I want to protect them and yet the reality of the situation is that none of them are moving to the house and until spring, I can't put them in the second coop (it's not snow ready at all).

4. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    If you can find out who the bullies are (watching for an hour or so, you will know). If you can make the 2nd coop snow ready or put in close proximity to the other coop or inside the run then lock up the bullies for a couple of days. This has worked on 2 occasions for us and it has eased the bullying until the victims were accepted. We tried to lock up the victims of the bullying but that made it worse. Good luck...

5. Carol2110

Carol2110 New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm have the same problem, HennyPenny was injured by overbreedig. She had an open sore on her back and the hens here picking on her. So I doctered her up and kept her inside for a few days. Now its 2 weeks later and she now has an open wound on her wing. Im not sure who the Queen bee is thats leading this charge, but any suggestions are appreciated. I have removed Rooster after the first injury so I know its not him. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by