Out-of-it chick--is it OK?

MJ chicken16

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2016
Puget Sound Area in Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,
So I have four two and a half month old Cochin bantam chicks. One of them has seemed a little off since yesterday--he/she is much slower than normal, and is just standing around, when usually he/she would be jumping their chicken swing, eating treats enthusiastically, and running around. Almost every time I go out to check on them, he/she is laying down, and if he/she isn't, they're just standing there. I saw him/her drinking and eating, but not very much and kind of sluggishly. He/she just seems out-of-it.

I'm really worried about Satsuki (the chick) because I've heard that when you do catch a chicken acting funny, it's usually too late because they hide being ill for a long time. (Is this true?)

I had no idea what to type into the search bar, and it seemed like a question actual humans would be able to answer better than Google. Is it worth it to take him/her to the vet? Or is there something I can do here to make him/her feel better?

Thank you so much!

At this age, coccidiosis is very common. Symptoms are lethargy, standing around hunched with neck pulled into the shoulders, no appetite, runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, and weakness. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) added to the water as their only source. Treat all chicks at the same time. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of corid powder or 10 ml (2tsp) of corid liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Do you have any pictures of poops?

In the meantime, if you have Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes, get the chick to drink water or give the PND several drops. Stop those when you start the Corid.

Back
Top Bottom