Out of the Brooder at Two Weeks?

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
I'm sick of the dander and smell in my garage, and I think my brooder is a little too small already for my 75 birds. They are two weeks old, and my plan is to put them into the 10x10 pen, with two heat lamps, covered entirely with a tarp. My thought is that between the two heat lamps and the tarp, it will probably stay at least as warm as the brooder in my unheated garage, which is only 14 inches tall and provides no insulation. It will have to be- we are going to have a high of 45 today, with a low of 29. Any thoughts? Hopefully some of the experienced broiler folk will weigh in on this soon. I'm going to hold off for a couple of hours before I just go for it! Thanks.

I'm thinking the same thing! My highs are better, but I'm worried because we can't see to dry out. It keeps raining.
pop.gif

If you have to try it, Do you have the heavy canvas tarps that are gray or black? They may hold the heat in better. Then put a poly tarp over that. Keep maybe one side open. I had the same trouble last year during this time. I'll never raise meatbirds after Sept. here in NY. It was wet here too. I had to bag up dry leaves and use it as bedding just to keep them dry and warm. I couldn't move them each day like I usually do. good luck Will

I did it and lost about 30 birds so far out of 200. They just don't preform good in cold temps.

I have the same set up... 2 lights and a tarp completely closing them off. It stays warm during the day but around 5:30 6:00 in the morning they are chilly. They seem to pile at the light and a few get sufficated.

If I could do it all over again I would have split them up in the brooder and kept them in for an extra week or two.

This time of year is tough... good luck.

I would pile a bunch of straw bales around the outside to act as an insulator. And lots of straw on the floor.

Just a thought...

I went for it- too packed into the brooder, and got sick of the dander. I put three 250 watt bulbs in, then covered with several tarps and a blanket. It seems very well insulated and warm. The only issue might be the bottom, but the ground is still pretty warm, so I think it will be ok. Wish me luck!

gh001.jpg

gh002.jpg

gh003.jpg

gh004.jpg

gh005.jpg

I don't think you have anything to worry about. They should be plenty warm with that tarp. One thing I have noticed in tarping mine, if the tarp is able to let some light thru, it will keep it warmer due to the sun heating it up, kinda like a greenhouse. I'm not sure if you even need all three heat lamps. One thing I started doing was to let a small section of the tractor uncovered for air exchange. You may not need to do it this week, but by next week, they will be pooping more and have more feathers.

ETA: Is that a bear in the background of the second picture? LOL.

Last edited:
I think with 3 heat lights it will be ok.

and the last pic says it all They like to poop

sam

Ya that's what I did. Make sure the tarps are strapped down really good if you get some wind or the whole pen will lift off like a hot air balloon.

Good luck... I had 200 in an 8x16 tractor so may have been too many for just two lights. I know have them seperated and no lights and they did fine the last couple of nights. The tarps are nice for holding in heat.

I did the straw thing once and man did it keep the tractor inside warm. After putting the bales of straw around the pen I then tarped everything... extra warm inside. I think it was like 25 degrees and three week old broilers thought it was summertime...

Quote:
No kidding! I have a dog kennel that I tarped and just could not figure out how the hens got out to free range and just what happened to all the roosts and boxes I had put in there for the hens. Everything had shifted about a foot due to the wind and the tarps.

It might be a good idea to stake it down.

Back
Top Bottom