1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

out of the danger zone??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbee chick01, Dec 28, 2011.

1. newbee chick01

newbee chick01 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    i`ve got 6 eggs all showing fertile on day 6.there all looking well and i think i can even see some movement:) was wondering if there was a certain stage that was classed as
    "out of the danger zone" if you know what i mean.
    i know obviously theres going to be small chances all the way through the process that something could go wrong for natural or other reasons,,,,but is there a stage where problems are less likely to ocurr???? if that makes sense to any1 lol [​IMG]

2. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    IMO the only time you are "out of the danger zone" incubating/hatching wise is once they've all hatched. I've learned when incubating eggs, anything can happen from power outages to temp spikes, to humidity issues (which typically don't show as a problem until hatch time). I've had chicks make it all the way to lockdown and then die in the shell.

3. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Quote:I agree...I've lost quite a few after lockdown (but I've got an LG bator right now)...I've had some pip internally and not make it!

4. newbee chick01

Dec 14, 2011
    this sure is nail bitting stuff. all the sudden 21days seems a life time lol!so untill its hatched its a 50/50 chance????

5. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    I'll agree you are never out of the danger zone... but, that you have 6 fertile eggs which are developing properly is a wonderful start!!! [​IMG] If this is your first hatch, I wouldn't put any percentage on your odds. If you have a quality incubator and understand how humidity in the incubator works then I'd say you have a great chance for a good hatch.

6. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Quote:I'm on day four, and haven't had one good night's sleep lol

7. newbee chick01

Dec 14, 2011
    lol i know what you mean i constantly checking temp etc.my huby and kids think i`m obsessed,,i think they might be right aha.i luv this site though its really helpful and nice to know i`m not the only one in the 21 day waiting game:)

8. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Quote:I agree, after hatch you are out of the "danger zone".

9. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    Good luck! Hope you have a great hatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by