Out to the coop...Questions!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Autumn Mama, May 17, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Well, the six week olds and the eight week olds will spend their first night outside in their new coop! It's finally ready enough for them to live in, with some minor touch-ups to do. Thank goodness! Chicks in the laundry room was getting a little old, lol!! Bless my Dh for completing it, his first real building project! [​IMG]

Our night temps are currently around 50 degrees F and I'm hoping that's not too cold for the first night. DH said we don't have an extension cord long enough to reach the coop and we didn't wire it with electricity. Do you think they'll be okay? The opening (the soon-to-be window) that is there now, has only 1/2 inch hardware cloth over it, so there is no glass window installed yet. The air can go right through and the opening is about 18'' x 3 feet.

Any thoughts?

I could maybe use blankets to insulate if I have to. It's been so long that they've lived inside since being a day old, that I forget they can handle this, lol!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Bump! Anyone have input? [​IMG]

We may bring them inside, not hearing any feedback and it's 11:30 pm here in BC...

3. gaduke

gaduke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    S.W. Kentucky
    I put mine out for the first time in similar temps and they did just fine. [​IMG]

4. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been concerned, too. The night before and last night it was in the 30's, with a frost warning. I shut down the windows some. But I know they're huddled together in one of the nest boxes, so I'm not too concerned.

Sandra

5. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    No colder then 50 @ 6 weeks should be fine.

6. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    I think some of it will depend on how many chicks you are putting out there. 2 chicks could stress from the cold. A dozen will be fine. They will all snuggle in a corner to conserve heat.

Doug

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    If they have been acclimated to the cooler temperatures then they will be just fine. If they have been living in accommodations where the temps have been, say in the 80's movement to a 50 degree environment will stress them, they will huddle and shiver. Make sure they have a draft-free place to go if they get cold with plenty of straw or other insulation & they should be just fine.
    Chickens adapt just fine if given the opportunity. I have a 2 day old out this morning in temps in the upper 30s. She does fine and runs to mama when cold to heat up. My 2 weekers have been out since day 2 with their mama, they only look for her warmth during roost times. The key, someplace to warm up and they're fine.

8. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Thanks everyone. We decided to bring them in for the night, although they had fallen asleep.

There is still a hardware cloth covered opening that may constitute a "draft" I'm not sure how to distinguish between what is considered a draft and what is considered a breeze/wind/airflow???

This opening will soon havew a window, but it's been so slow building this coop, and I need my house back!

There are twelve chooks right now, in a 4 x 8 coop, with pine shavings as the litter of choice. Do you think I should add straw or hay? Is it the straw or hay that adds extra warmth, like more than the pine shavings will?

Thanks again!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by