Outgrowing my means.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by minna, Nov 1, 2008.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    My dh brought me home 40 more baby chicks last night. I told him no more, he went to the guy we usually buy froms house to get some hay for my horses and came back with chicks. At least they are almost all the same age as the ones i have, except for 5 2 day old chicks. Now I have WAY too many chicks in the brooder and he is gonna have to do something about it, b/c they are too little to go in the big coop. But they are so cute. I got some RIR to go with my new hamps, and some more buff orpingtons, its really hard to call them that when everyone around here calls them yellow buffs, and 3 black sex linked which i love. I'm a sucker for chicks.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Something tells me that getting more chicks than you have space for is par for the course here at BYC!

I'm preparing to overload myself come spring by getting 3 more layers (mine is an urban flock) and am even considering getting some meaties. Heck, I'd get a turkey for 2009 Thanksgiving if I thought I could raise it in my little yard!

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Wondering what you meant by "means": Do you have enough money to feed and raise those birds, or are you merely talking about space (as in, the brooder is way too full now)?

If you're looking for some ideas about how to build a coop, you're definitely in the right place.

You can tell your hubby, okay, you brought home 40 chicks, now you have to build me my dream coop! Hee hee.

4. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Yeah, I mean my brooder space. I actually had 2 brooders and one was kinda yucky and didn't look nice and didn't have enough ventilation, so he put it int he burn pile. Now I do have my 1 nice one that is great, and quite large, but chickies grow fast. And I did inform him that tomorrow was build day. I think he is going to build me a small pen inside the barn with some hay and a light for my big babies (3 weeks old) and leave my baby babies in the brooder.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I kind of have the same problem, so now I have a nursery coop with a brooder in that coop. We are partitioning it so the older chicks will have their section. When the older chicks get big enough then they will go in to the main coop with the big girls and the new ones will go to the big chick side and the more new ones in the brooder side. We are indeed all addicts here on BYC. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by