Outside brooder coop.. .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kadjain, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I got this for free from a neighbor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The run area was too rotten and what wasn't rotten was too over built to do anything with. Also for my plans I needed it to be all one level so I didn't reuse the above run area.
    My plan was to separate it into two compartments and use it as an outside brooder for broody hens or older chicks who were hatched in the incubator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The new run is built of recycled old growth redwood from a fence I tore down (except for that top middle 2x4, it is newer)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This has very few new parts and was mostly free and recycled, not that that means much other than I'm making my dreams happen on what little I can afford.
    Cheers to the rest of you who have more hope than money!! !

1 person likes this.
  2. That's a very good set up. Wishin I had one just like it.
    [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool Beans! Nice re-use!!

What all kind of birds do you have in there? I see a duck ...and maybe bantams and large fowl chickens?

Any concerns about rain entering the split in the roof?

4. Kadjain

Yes, I still need to weather proof it. Right now we are having really nice weather so I haven't been too concerned about sealing it up. They look like bantams compared to the others because they are younger. The duck is Muscovy and the chicks are oriental gamefowl and gamefowl/layer crosses (for meat).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  5. br1990

br1990 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Do you know what the gamefowl are crossed with?

6. Kadjain

My egg layers, EE's, L. Brahma, Welsummer, Leghorn.

7. Kadjain

We had about a week of rain and even though I still hadn't sealed it up it stayed dry inside. But I did this to it anyway
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dartfreak75

dartfreak75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Thats nice I like your style lol Im the same way i do everything as cheap or free as Possible

9. Kadjain

My breeding coops were built from recycled lumber a lady gave me after tearing down a goat barn and my main coop is a 10x10 metal shed I received as a gift.

10. Backyard Bob

Backyard Bob Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Oklahoma
    What are the dimensions on each individual coop and run?
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by